Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a 2014 Rav4 LE. At the dealership everything worked fine but as soon as we got home the front driver and passenger doors will not lock with the remote or from the lock button on the drivers door. I've checked the settings and everything looks OK. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If the back doors are locking(and front doors are not) with the door lock button I would say it sounds like an issue with the lock actuators and get it back to dealer while still under warranty.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just find it hard to understand how both front doors would go bad at the same time right after we got it home.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would also but I have seen other threads about door lock actuators going bad in short time spans of each other.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Door sensor thinks one of the doors is ajar.
You can not lock the doors from the remote if one is open.
I seem to recall this happening with the inside button as well but I'm not positive.

It's a lock-out protection to keep you from locking your keys in the car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Door sensor thinks one of the doors is ajar.
You can not lock the doors from the remote if one is open.
I seem to recall this happening with the inside button as well but I'm not positive.

It's a lock-out protection to keep you from locking your keys in the car.
Don't think that's the issue since (1) it's locking rear doors and (2) it should lock with interior door lock button weather door is open or closed.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,895 Posts
And yet the door lock actuators in my Japan-built RAV4 have taken heavy use in the past 8 1/2 years with absolutely no problems. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
And yet the door lock actuators in my Japan-built RAV4 have taken heavy use in the past 8 1/2 years with absolutely no problems. Go figure.
Had no issues with my wife's '04 for 11 years/150k. The driver window was just starting to strain rolling up when we traded it in.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Don't think that's the issue since (1) it's locking rear doors and (2) it should lock with interior door lock button weather door is open or closed.
I've had a number of Japanese vehicles that could only be locked from inside when the door was closed, including my '76 Datsun pickup (no power locks). The plungers worked when closed, but you were forced to lock with the key after getting out.

I know on my '16 Corolla and wife's '15 Rav, if I try to lock with the remote and a door is open, it sounds a warning beep and doesn't lock (same if my wife leaves her purse/smartkey in the Corolla).

I *think* I remember the Rav locking from the passenger side, but not the driver side using the inside switch if a door was open, but I'd have to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input. I've scheduled an appointment to have it checked out as it is still under warranty. I was just hoping there was a simple explanation for the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Confirmed on my Corolla that the door pushbuttons DO operate when the driver door is open.
The remote does not, so it does not sound like your problem is a door open sensor. Guess I should have asked if you had if you had a "Door Ajar" indication on the dash ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts