Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
From where?
I ordered the the 3M paint film from nochip.com. You can also order from them on eBay. Their eBay seller name is nochip_mmm. I was happy with the product. I've put on the door edgeguard so far. Going to put on the door sills today or tomorrow. I'll report back.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I ordered the the 3M paint film from nochip.ca. You can also order from them on eBay. Their eBay seller name is nochip_mmm. I was happy with the product. I've put on the door edgeguard so far. Going to put on the door sills today or tomorrow. I'll report back.
close-up pics pls.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I took a few (dark shots) of the edge guard. They do look a lot better (and almost invisible in the outdoors) but it is raining here and I don't want to have to rewash the Rav:). Looking at the finished door edges yesterday in the outdoors, they almost disappear but inside the garage the lighting picks up the edge of the film making it more noticeable. I will post better pics when I get a chance.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Look good. Great even. Subtle, look OEM. and no worry about chips.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Finally got around to taking pics of the door sill coated with the 3M Paint Protectant

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Retired Rav4 Man.....

Nice job! :thumbs_up: How long did it take to install and did you purchase the product from the same source as the door edges?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks a lot. It was much easier than I had anticipated. I watched the online video which shows how to clean the area and install the film a few times before the attempt but it all went well. The key for me was to spray the alcohol/water solution liberally on the sill and the back of the film which made it slippery and able to move into position. It took about an hour from start to finish. If I was to do it again it would probably be faster.

The hardest part, really, was the little step down in level on the sill. I got a few bubbles in there but was able to work them out because the film was so wet. By the way, I didn't use the plastic spatula recommended by 3M. I just used my hands and towards the end a clean detailing cloth to soak up the solution and help it dry. The film is almost invisible unless you are looking for it.

Yes, I did order both from the nochip.ca website. Great price and great speed in shipping. And no, I don't work for them;) Good Luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks a lot. It was much easier than I had anticipated. I watched the online video which shows how to clean the area and install the film a few times before the attempt but it all went well. The key for me was to spray the alcohol/water solution liberally on the sill and the back of the film which made it slippery and able to move into position. It took about an hour from start to finish. If I was to do it again it would probably be faster.

The hardest part, really, was the little step down in level on the sill. I got a few bubbles in there but was able to work them out because the film was so wet. By the way, I didn't use the plastic spatula recommended by 3M. I just used my hands and towards the end a clean detailing cloth to soak up the solution and help it dry. The film is almost invisible unless you are looking for it.

Yes, I did order both from the nochip.ca website. Great price and great speed in shipping. And no, I don't work for them;) Good Luck!
so it's been a little over three months now… was just wondering how the 3-M is holding up for ya?

I'm considering going this route.
TIA, SR

·
Registered
721 Posts
so it's been a little over three months now… was just wondering how the 3-M is holding up for ya?

I'm considering going this route.
TIA, SR
Funny you should ask as I just looked closely the other day and it still looks great. Granted, my vehicle doesn't get much abuse but there are no scrapes or imperfections. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had these installed on my '13 XLE and they look great. And they don't scuff. Highly recommend them to keep your door sills looking good. :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ordered the the 3M paint film from nochip.com. You can also order from them on eBay. Their eBay seller name is nochip_mmm. I was happy with the product. I've put on the door edgeguard so far. Going to put on the door sills today or tomorrow. I'll report back.
I know it's an old post and all but I was wondering if you could provide any details on item / part # please? Wife isn't crazy about OEM door sill so I was looking for an alternative and what you found fits the bill. Couldn't find it on nochip.com so thought I'd ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I know it's an old post and all but I was wondering if you could provide any details on item / part # please? Wife isn't crazy about OEM door sill so I was looking for an alternative and what you found fits the bill. Couldn't find it on nochip.com so thought I'd ask. Thanks.
Hi SM05, for the door sills I used an 84'' strip from nochip.ca. I think it was a 2 inch wide one. It was fairly easy to work with. With all this lousey weather it'll be interesting to see how this 3M film holds up. Here's the link to the page for the film I used on the door sills.

NoChip 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film — 84 inch (7 ft) Strips

If you need more info, let me know.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great, thanks Retired Rav4 Man. Found it on Amazon as well. I'm gonna give it a shot as well as one for the door edge protection. Thanks again.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Great, thanks Retired Rav4 Man. Found it on Amazon as well. I'm gonna give it a shot as well as one for the door edge protection. Thanks again.
Happy to help. Which one are you getting for the door edges?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Happy to help. Which one are you getting for the door edges?
Need to figure out how much of it I'd need for both door sill and door edge guard.

That's the door edge guard, "3M 08582 36" Door Edge Protection Film":
3M 08582 36" Door Edge Protection Film : Amazon.com : Automotive

And that's the one you recommended for the door sill I believe, "ScotchgardTM Paint Protection Film":
ScotchgardTM Paint Protection Film - Amazon.com

My car is parked outside so looks like I may have to wait until it gets a bit warmer before applying it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Installed the MIT door sills, thought they turned out nice. A little wider for more protection would've been better though! Took these pics right after a snowboarding trip so excuse all the dirt lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had these installed right after I took delivery of my Rav from my dealer along with the door side moldings. Well worth the price, and they don't scratch easy at all.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts