Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On both smooth and rough pavement I get a tick tick tick vibration / rattle form what appears to be the innards of the seat belt height adjuster. Adjusting the height does not help. Anyone else have this isssue or better yet do they have a solution. Once again it appears Toyota has delivered a new generation vehicle with inherent clicks, ticks and rattles...my 02 Camry being my first experience!

·
Premium Member
7,968 Posts
It's been mentioned before, but if mine does it, I can't hear it, it may be one of the advantages of 59yr old abused hearing! :oops:

Tim

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rapid Aging is not a sufficient solution for me if that all Tooyota has to offer..Ha Ha...

Quickdtoo said:
It's been mentioned before, but if mine does it, I can't hear it, it may be one of the advantages of 59yr old abused hearing! :oops:

Tim

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have that vibration too. It drives me nuts! It's very light though but enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan on having the dealer take look...will let you know what they say...IT VERY ANNOYING TO ME!!!!

kuj said:
I have that vibration too. It drives me nuts! It's very light though but enough to be annoying.

P

·
0 Posts
I have a slight noise in the passenger door b- Pillar. My wife had/has it in her 02 Camry and numerous trips to the dealer failed to resolve it. I was comtemplating tearing into the B-Pillar to either try to locate the noise or put some noise deadening material on or around the area but never got around to it. Maybe this will renew my interest and resolve to fix it! :D

C

·
0 Posts
I have noise from passenger buckle bouncing on the post-might be what you are hearing also, plan to install a small piece of the soft side of Velco when I can locate some that is close to the interior color.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CATtywampus said:
I have noise from passenger buckle bouncing on the post-might be what you are hearing also, plan to install a small piece of the soft side of Velco when I can locate some that is close to the interior color.
NO, I have the belt on...noise is from inside the adjuster or pillar....I had some luck shooting oil in there on my Camry but this noise sounds different...

B

·
0 Posts
Hello, I think I've fixed it!

In fact my RAV4 is the previous version, one of the last off the production line, but the problem was exactly as yours. And nobody else with a previous shape RAV seems to have had it, so I can only assume something different happened at the factory during the changeover, ie in late 2005. My noise got worse over several months.

Go to the forum for the previous shape RAV, find "irritating tinkling" (last update 13th June 06) and you will find my simple very low cost low effort solution. Basically, the front doors need just a little outwards pressure - try it with your elbow first.

I only hope it works on the new shape RAV - please let me know!

B

·
0 Posts
Anyone tried this fix yet? If yes, please let us know how you get on.

bobcat

S

·
0 Posts
Anyone having any luck with this rattle in the passanger pillar??
The dealer has had mine apart.....no luck!!....I took ot apart (after watching him do it...very simple after you pull off a little of the weather stripping)...and no luck . I used quite a few inches of sound proofing foam tape......NO LUCK. If I push hard on the pillar where the two pieces of plastic join, I get it all to stop.....but even with the foam, I still do not solvle it unless I'm pushing on it. I guess I'm getting close , but NO CIGAR yet. VERY frustrating......otherwise...I love my Rav!
HELP my sanity please!!...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PLEASE PLEASE ELABORATE!

Thank God its not only me. I am going away soon and the thought of listening to this rattle for 5 hours has me contemplating taking my 02 Camry! I know the rattle is in the pillar somewhere. Cracking the window, driving with the door adjar, adjusting the belt height etc all yeild no result. In fact I believe the rattle is comming from just above the the little thing you grab to raise / lower the belt height. Questions...1) Specifically where do you press to quiet the rattle? I can never quiet mine. 2) Can you duplicate the noise when the car is still. My noise gets worse as it gets warmer. 3) Both my doors do it, how about you? 4) Exactly what is involved in getting the trim off. I am able to pop the little peice you grab up and into the pillar. In the roughly 2 X 2 inch space I can see some interior parts but grabbing them does not quiet anything. If all RAVs do this there will need ot be a solution but I can't wait....anything you find out PLEASE PLEASE POST!!!!!!

PS: does the dealer acknowlege a problem and what are they doing about it. I mean this makes the car sound like a piece of [email protected] Its embarrising and makes me sick when I think what I spent.

Sportster said:
Anyone having any luck with this rattle in the passanger pillar??
The dealer has had mine apart.....no luck!!....I took ot apart (after watching him do it...very simple after you pull off a little of the weather stripping)...and no luck . I used quite a few inches of sound proofing foam tape......NO LUCK. If I push hard on the pillar where the two pieces of plastic join, I get it all to stop.....but even with the foam, I still do not solvle it unless I'm pushing on it. I guess I'm getting close , but NO CIGAR yet. VERY frustrating......otherwise...I love my RAV!
HELP my sanity please!!...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bobcat...will try the felt solution but....

I really do not think that is it. I drove a mile or so with the door adjar and the noise was still there. I really sounds like it in the pillar but I will try. Where exactly does this felt go. Is it on the side of the door by the latch? If it is in the pillar between sheet metal or something I am doomed unless they are all like that...in which case I'll need to start a Rattles rant to get Toyotas attention. My 02 Camry was bad but this is rediculous!

RE:
Sorted!

Two felt pads (the ones you stick on the bottom of chair legs to stop them scratching the floor) placed one on top of the other on the door frame, just above the door latch keep.

Creates a slight outward push on the door, and the creaking disappears.

Can't believe I've been through all this for a simple door creak. It didn't sound like a door creak. Maybe the guy in the factory who was supposed to fine-tune the door lock went off for his teabreak at the vital moment. Not very Toyota, I have to say.

bobcat321 said:
Hello, I think I've fixed it!

In fact my RAV4 is the previous version, one of the last off the production line, but the problem was exactly as yours. And nobody else with a previous shape RAV seems to have had it, so I can only assume something different happened at the factory during the changeover, ie in late 2005. My noise got worse over several months.

Go to the forum for the previous shape RAV, find "irritating tinkling" (last update 13th June 06) and you will find my simple very low cost low effort solution. Basically, the front doors need just a little outwards pressure - try it with your elbow first.

I only hope it works on the new shape RAV - please let me know!

S

·
0 Posts
Andre...
The place I push to quiet the rattle is half way down, where the dark plastic meets the lighter color, on the seem where they meet, or very near there. I cannot duplicate the noise from inside the car, even had my wife tap in many places outside, while I sat inside. Only my passenger side does it.....at the moment. To get the panels off, peel back the door weather stripping located around the plastic panels. Then simply gently pull off the panels.
My Toyota dealer was very good about looking and said.."a new model gets new bugs, and we get to sort them out". He was not happy with it either, but did not acknowledge a wide spead problem yet. I'm not letting this one go though...It should be better than this...
Keep In touch!!!............

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks but...

I'll try pushing here but I think I already attempted tha and it did nothing. If it does then maybe I can wedge something in there for my trip. I am fearfull this in a mtal on meatl noise that won't be correctible, unless its in every car and everyone complains. I tried the felt by the door latch solution proposed by Bobcat and his 2005 RAV...it did not appear to work. I really think the noise is in the pillar. If you can get in there and not quiet it...well that can not be a good sign.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE...

I drove the car around at lunch and it sounded worse than my old Mercury...and that thing sounded like a bucket of bolts! I drove to a dealer and they went for a drive and acknowleged the annoyance. Of course I can not get in until after vacation so I know I must endure Toyota's shoddy quality in my ear for a 5 hour drive. I keep thinking 23K.... 23K for this!!!

I did try pushing in the spot reccomemded and at times it quiets the noise, other times it does not.

I am seriously considering getting one of those closet tension bars and trying to stick it from door pillar to pillar. Of course I'll need to move my seat waaaay forward or have a bar in my neck for the trip...still its better than listening to that noise.

I can not wait to get back and have the dealer try to fix it. Failure is not an option. I am not letting Toyota off on this one. If necesary I'll be starting a phone or email complaint campain. I hope you will join me.

I guess you can say I am a little upset.....

If anyone figures out a solution in the next few days please post. I am still leary about getting the pillar off....it looks like that black rubber molding holds it in place not sure...I'd hate to take it off an not get it back on. Tips are appreciated!

T

·
0 Posts
Another one here with the nasty rattle in the same area. Passenger side only at this time.

I am able to stop/minimize the noise if I put moderate pressure on the pillar right below where the trim pieces change color. Also get some reduction of noise if I push on the door itself. This is from the driver's side, fully extending my arm. Had a passenger try it as well, and did not have as good luck getting sound to stop. Probably an issue of amount of force. Will try the felt pads this weekend.

This is just another example of the orchestra of unwanted noises coming out of the interior of my RAV. This, the plastic creaking/popping coming from the gearshift area, and the multitude of noises from the rear cargo area, adds up to a disappoiinting experience. And I won't even go into the sounds when I put the moonroof on vent!

Will try the dealership eventually, but have not had much luck in previous dealer attempts to address similar issues in other vehicles.

For now, just listening to music louder than normal to drown it out...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info...

I doubt the pads will work. I popped the trim where we are pushing to quiet the noise. Underneath the lighter colored plastic is tightly screwed into the pillar. I see nothing that is making the noise. Iwas hesitant to go further without giving the dealer a crack at it first. That will have to wait about 10 days though. I will not let this one go. Its absolutely unacceptable. What scares me is that it makes the nosie even with the darker trim popped open. ANother guy said he experienced the same thing and the dealer thus far could quiet it. Please stay around this forum. Over the next month if they can not resolve these issues I plan to get as mony folks together to call Toyota (hopefully around the same time) to complain. I'll also set up a RATTLES forum on Edmunds. Again, this is unacceptable.

For my trip I guess I'll be removing the headrest from my Camry and wedging between the seat and pillar. Love that quality...I thought the Camry rattles were bad but at least they were resolved for the most part.

B

·
0 Posts
Sorted! The dealer has somehow fixed the problem by adjusting the doors. Judging by the evasion to questions, I'd say Toyota are a bit embarrassed about it and are pretending that the problem doesn't exist, but will quietly fix it if you ask.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It seems like I have every one of the small problems mentioned on these forums. Brief list:

1.) Radio volume knob does not work sometimes.
2.) Easily chipped windshield (1x very tiny chip already).
3.) AC not very cold.
4.) Uncomfortable seats.
5.) Telescoping steering wheel doesn't come out far enough.
6.) Add the rattle in the B pillar (only happened once, hasn't happened again).

1 - 20 of 101 Posts