Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Rav4. It's been great except overdrive failed at 150,000. But the doors never closed unless you pulled them all the way shut. They didn't have that mechanism I've had in every other car I've owned where if you get the door mostly closed it would give itself a final push.

My 2020 hybrid doesn't have it either. I'm so disappointed. I have to reclose the door 30% of the time because it doesn't fully close. BUMMER. What a trivial thing to fail on. So trivial, stupid me, I didn't even check it during purchase. 馃槥

Registered
I have a 2010 Rav4. It's been great except overdrive failed at 150,000. But the doors never closed unless you pulled them all the way shut. They didn't have that mechanism I've had in every other car I've owned where if you get the door mostly closed it would give itself a final push.

My 2020 hybrid doesn't have it either. I'm so disappointed. I have to reclose the door 30% of the time because it doesn't fully close. BUMMER. What a trivial thing to fail on. So trivial, stupid me, I didn't even check it during purchase.
What kind of cars do you have that the doors shut themselves? I have never owned a vehicle that can do that and I've had all types of German and Japanese vehicles.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, not shut themselves. Have you never had doors that had a swing to them from the hinge mechanism. Open the door and it would naturally open to about one third open and stop needing a push to open fully. When closing there is a little bump as you pass that location and then it closes faster.

Well, every car I've owned until the Rav has. Suburban, Jetta, Corolla, CRV, Mustang. But not these Rav's.

Registered
Guess I never noticed, I guess I just open and close my doors like a lumberjack...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Ha, not shut themselves. Have you never had doors that had a swing to them from the hinge mechanism. Open the door and it would naturally open to about one third open and stop needing a push to open fully. When closing there is a little bump as you pass that location and then it closes faster.

Well, every car I've owned until the Rav has. Suburban, Jetta, Corolla, CRV, Mustang. But not these Rav's.
Since you have come up with a complaint that no one else has reported on Rav4world, I'd suggest that you go to several dealers and report back if you can find a vehicle that operates that way. (After the virus restrictions are over).

I do remember vehicles where the mechanism had a bump that would stop the door about half way but that was to stop the door from swinging way out. Older American vehicles, especially 2 door models had long, heavy doors that would swing out by their own weight and have bumps to prevent wide, ding causing, openings. I never found those bumps to actually to help closing the door. I think you have a rosy memory of you past vehicles.

(Not trying to put you down, just having fun) 馃槃

Registered
The door and the door latching mechanism are a very important safety item for side impact protection. This means they must have a strong locking action which requires some force to engage properly. There are luxury cars which achieve this with an electrical clamping mechanism but this adds weight and cost which I am sure Toyota would prefer not to do on the hybrid. Some older cars also had heavier doors and the inertia could be used to provide the necessary latching force, but if you are averse to slamming the door a bit harder remember that it saves you fuel and keeps you safer in the event of an accident. Design is often a matter of compromise but Toyota are pretty good at it.

Registered
I've probably had a few hundred rental cars in the last 20 years and can't say I noticed a difference, nor with any of the cars or trucks I've owned.

Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6

My 2020 hybrid doesn't have it either. I'm so disappointed. I have to reclose the door 30% of the time because it doesn't fully close. BUMMER. What a trivial thing to fail on. So trivial, stupid me, I didn't even check it during purchase. 馃槥
I suggest you lubricate your door hinges, latches, and check strap. These are considered wear items and therefore are not covered under any extended warranty. See if the doors aren't a little easier to shut after some grease is applied.

Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
of the 20 cars I've owned since 1990, I can't recall any differences in the door opening and closing. Until the 2019 Rav4 where the handle used to close and open the door is located too far forward and is too slanted. But none of these cars or all the cars I rented in several countries have self closing doors unless you are on a hill.

Registered
馃嚚馃嚘 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
I suggest you lubricate your door hinges, latches, and check strap. These are considered wear items and therefore are not covered under any extended warranty. See if the doors aren't a little easier to shut after some grease is applied.
Woah, never seen ya here, hello 馃憢馃徎

Good suggestion, I lubricated my latches and hinges with white lithium grease for some preventative maintenance. Curious, what鈥檚 a check strap?

Registered
I have a similar experience with having to frequently reclose the doors. From outside of the car the doors feel somewhat light when swinging them shut. Compared to our Prius the doors will fully latch with a light push.

From the inside of the RAV4 it doesn't help that the door handles are too far forward resulting in poor leverage when pulling shut. 4.5 Gen door pulls are nearly at the A-Pillar when 4.4 Gen are closer to B-Pillar. If Toyota had designed a secondary door handle pocket near the B-Pillar I'm sure most people would use it.

Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
I find myself sometimes clawing at the gap between the window and the weather-sealing because I can't get leverage using the handle. It this a result of a short designer sitting with the seat far forward?

Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
Wow, I've never noticed the inside door handles in the photos before. What were the designers thinking?? If I owned one, I would reach down below for the edge of the bottle holder.

Registered
OP you are correct, the doors on the new generation model are much more difficult to fully close. I came from a 2016 RAV4 and the new doors are lighter with poor handle placement. I'm always to check to make sure my doors are fully closed and my passengers also have difficulty with it. Definitely something that's annoying about the car so don't feel like you're the only one.

Registered
By the way, does anybody knows if the doors of new generation are made of steel or aluminum?
Is true are lighter than 2016 RAV4
If made of steel, must be much thinner the metal sheet, maybe 0.6 mm

Registered
馃嚚馃嚘 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
Did that help being able to close the doors easier?
I wouldn't necessarily say easier, the car was already smooth to close by my standards and had factory grease in those areas already. If it made any difference, it would've been a negligible percentage, my mindset was more preventative if anything.

Where I did notice a difference in smoothness was when I lubricated ALL rubber seals/strips on the car, that helped a decent amount IMO - I used WD40 Silicone spray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts