Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Doors lock (with fob) but will not unlock

11K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  earthrealm 
#1 ·
Hello all ...

My sister's 2005 RAV4 (used to be mine, I gave it to her) has a door lock problem.
It started gradually, then got worse, I believe it's an electrical/relay/solenoid problem of some sort.

Description:
The auto lock system LOCKS all the doors. This works as it should.
But the doors cannot be UNlocked with the clicker.

Press the "lock" button -- all doors lock (normal)
Insert key into R or L front door locks and turn to the lock position -- all doors lock (normal)
Insert key into rear door and turn to lock position -- all doors lock. (normal)

BUT...

Press the UNlock button once on the clicker (unlock driver side door) -- nothing.
Press the UNlock button twice on the clicker (unlock all doors) -- nothing.

The key can be used in either of the front door locks (and rear door) to manually unlock that particular door.

The rocker switches on BOTH the L and R front doors do nothing at all (no lock, no unlock).

My (lacking) analysis:
  • no problems with individual door locking mechanisms
  • instead, problem is "central" to entire system
  • NOT a blown fuse (if fuse was blown doors would neither lock or unlock under power, but they DO lock -- ALL of them)
  • not a problem with rocker switch on driver's door, because passenger side door switch does nothing, either. My guess is both switches are good.

• COULD IT BE a problem with a central relay or solenoid that throws one way or the other, or both?
  • Are there individual solenoids for locking and unlocking, or is this combined into one unit?
  • If these solenoids/relays exist, where are they found?
I don't think this is an "actuator" problem -- but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
pretty common issue, i'm dealing with the same problem in mine, seems that either the solenoids themselves get wet and start acting up, but return to normal after drying sufficiently, or there's a water leak on the drivers side getting the whole relay box damp/wet.

mine was doing weird shit for a while after heavy rains, had a bit of a musty smell in the car (big indicator of water intrusion) and the locks would randomly work and then not. even during driving they'd sometimes start going nuts.

mine's an 05 as well, will update as i find out more.

#3 ·
S1iver00 wrote:
"pretty common issue, i'm dealing with the same problem in mine, seems that either the solenoids themselves get wet and start acting up, but return to normal after drying sufficiently"

If there are solenoids, do you know where they are...?

#4 · (Edited)
Fishrman, this is a door lock actuator failing. Inside the door lock actuator is a tiny motor with brushes that wears out. There are no solenoid or relays inside the actuator.

Here is some helpful videos:
Removing door. Removing door lock actuator. Be careful removing the driver side door control trim cover since removing it from the bottom will snap the clip holder! Getting the lock to to work properly may require you to bend the door lock actuator arm. Just keep adjusting until you get it working. Make sure the windows are down so you can open the doors in case you can't unlock the doors. Replacing the door lock actuator is not easy and will require very high skill level. Adjusting the door lock actuator to get it to work is hard. These door lock actuator is a pain compared to the Gen3 which is relatively easy.

#5 ·
DL175 wrote:
"Fishrman, this is a door lock actuator failing. Inside the door lock actuator is a tiny motor with brushes that wears out. There are no solenoid or relays inside the actuator."

I'm confused.

If a single door lock actuator fails, will that affect ALL the other doors as well?
Or... will the failure be "localized to only that door" (that has the failed actuator)?

The problem I'm having doesn't affect any PARTICULAR door.
It affects ALL DOORS at once.

For example:
Briefly, the "lock/unlock" buttons on the driver's side AND passenger's side doors started working.
Lock ... locked ALL the other doors
UNlock ... UNlocked ALL the other doors.
BOTH sides worked.

But then...
A few moments later, BOTH sides (door lock/unlock) became inoperative again.
NEITHER side would do anything.

Will replacing the actuator in the driver's side door fix the problems with the passenger's side door, or the rear door?

#7 ·
Yeah, so i'm pretty sure the door locks, while an issue, doesn't seem to be a major problem for everybody.

I think i have water ingress issues that cause the locks to act up, i had my partner in the car when i was washing it, and he advised while i was washing, the car would start to attempt to lock on its own. later on that drive, the unlock stopped working, but lock would still function using the buttons and key fob.

i really need to fix this, its really annoying.

#8 ·
So, I found the problem, on the passenger side, lower kick panel, there’s a distribution block with a few plugs on it, I’d you tapped them bottom of it, the locks would start locking, with each hit it would attempt to lock.

pulled the plug out and inspected, it was all green and corroded. Cleaned it up and locks seem to be working 100% no lock replacement necessary.

#9 ·
S1iver00, Check the """""First do you have a power sunroof? The front drains go down the front pillar into the Kick panel. They could be clogged. I was first going to say to check behind the Connector Block, see if there is a Plastic flap allowing water not to get onto that block. Other thoughts is at the front fender. First I would check the flap> If one not in behind the block I would install one myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.