Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my father went to drive my 2019 RAV4 LE AWD. He put the key in the ignition, started it, and closed the driver-side door to brush the snow off the car. But in less than thirty seconds, the doors were automatically locked and he was forced to call a locksmith!

Is this what is supposed to happen? Have others owners encountered this issue? On all other cars I've owned, I'm fairly certain the doors don't lock until you've put it in drive!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yesterday my father went to drive my 2019 RAV4 LE AWD. He put the key in the ignition, started it, and closed the driver-side door to brush the snow off the car. But in less than thirty seconds, the doors were automatically locked and he was forced to call a locksmith!

Is this what is supposed to happen? Have others owners encountered this issue? On all other cars I've owned, I'm fairly certain the doors don't lock until you've put it in drive!

Thanks in advance!
Hmm, I too have a LE hybrid AWD with that keyed ignition and will have to keep that in mind. Should never happen that way!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Wow, I seriously thought the "locking keys inside the car" was a thing of the past. Seems like this autolock is a design flaw or they didn't do put much thought into it since all other trims except LE have smartkey.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I thought that even with a physical key, there was a chip in the key housing which allows that key to start the car. OK, maybe that's speculation but if it is, why didn't the car know the key was inside the car. My old BMW had the chip and you could not lock the car with the key inside the car. From what I understand, the only time the car will lock itself is if you unlock the car but don't ope a door. It sounds like there's a problem with the vehicle since I can't think of any other reason the car would lock itself without any intervention 👻.

·
Registered
190 Posts
True, but I have a picture of the key code on my phone. Although it would cost $$$, I can get a key cut at any Toyota dealer to open the door. Probably the same cash as a locksmith with the downside that you will need a ride to the dealership. Obviously this method wont be feasible in all cases but its a free option to have a picture of the key code.

Very funny. No, but who keeps two keys on their person at all times?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just curious, does the Toyota app work on the LE model?

If so, it could be used to unlock the door ... unless it too was locked inside the car.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Just curious, does the Toyota app work on the LE model?

If so, it could be used to unlock the door ... unless it too was locked inside the car.
Toyota App and Remote Connect app only work with Remote Connect capable head units which are Audio Plus and Premium Audio, LE only comes with the base Audio head unit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glad that on our Limited, we can use either the Remote or the Toyota Lifestyle App, that has lock and unlock.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Glad that on our Limited, we can use either the Remote or the Toyota Lifestyle App, that has lock and unlock.
There's no Toyota Lifestyle app, it's just Toyota app. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
There's no Toyota Lifestyle app, it's just Toyota app. ;)

But you ARE correct! Lifestyle is apparently just a classification! 👍

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I may take it back to the dealership and see what they say.
As you know for certain now, no this is not normal. It sounds like the re-locking system is malfunctioning. It defaults to a short time to relock the doors if unlocked via remote and a door is not opened in the timeout period. I think 30 secs may be the default. I used Carista to set mine to 2 mins.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
As you know for certain now, no this is not normal. It sounds like the re-locking system is malfunctioning. It defaults to a short time to relock the doors if unlocked via remote and a door is not opened in the timeout period. I think 30 secs may be the default. I used Carista to set mine to 2 mins.
Just for my own (hybrid) info, I tried it with the driver’s window open to see if it happens and how long it takes. Dry/sunny conditions at about 38 degrees. The ICE idled for about 2 minutes and then shut off. Ready light still on. Nothing after 10 minutes so I shut her down. I did find it interesting that the message when I initially shut the door with the ignition on was “window is open”.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What's weird is that my Rav4 would autolock after being parked and shut down in the garage when I first got it. For some reason, after a couple of days, it quit doing it. I wonder if it learned that I wasn't locking the doors in the garage? :unsure:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Another of a bazillion reasons to own a GEN-1 RAV4. No chips, fobs, automatic locks. "Just an old-school key."

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmm. Seems odd the previous gens are purposely programmed not to do this but the new ones do? For example, if I attempt to lock our RAV with the keys in the ignition, it will immediately unlock itself.

I can only imagine 3 scenarios here:

There was a malfunction (which seems unlikely) or

A particular way it was programmed (many of the alarm, lock, window, etc setting can be programmed and customized as was touched upon in a previous post) or

Simply human error. Your dad thought he took particular steps but might have 'absent-mindedly' done otherwise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts