Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I haven't been able to find any posts or references to fitting a double DIN head unit into a mk1 Rav4, I'm quite surprised that no one has posted about this before it seems.

I have fitted a double DIN unit to mine, and here is a guide I have written. Pictures will be added later on once I have permission to post pictures (as a new member, I cannot currently do so).

I was planning to buy a single-DIN head unit with a flip out screen as I couldn’t see any easy place to mount a double-DIN, unless I used an enclosure to mount it on top of the dash. I was removing the fascia to install a voltmeter and USB plate where the blanked switch locations currently are, but when removing this fascia, I was surprised to find a double-DIN space with mounting brackets!

I can’t be the first person to have found this, but I couldn’t find any mention of it anywhere online. I also couldn’t find any fascia adapter plates to allow use of this slot which seemed a bit pointless – why put a slot there if it’s not intended to be usable?
I guess at this point I should have taken some more photos throughout the process, but it’s pretty straight-forward so hopefully you can follow along. The fascia plate simply pulls off, start at a corner and pull it towards you and it will unclip.
I did a test-fit of my head unit, this is just a cheap Chinese unit that someone kindly gave me, and I’d used for a year in my last car, my beloved Peugeot 406.

Prior to the photo above, I had removed the existing storage pocket from the slot, it was attached to the brackets shown here with a couple of screws – nice and easy. The brackets appear to be of a universal type with several holes drilled in them to suit most types of head unit. After removing the regular factory head unit from the slot above, I had 4 suitable short bolts that would work to attach these brackets to my head unit.

Next thing was the fascia. As no fascia appears to exist, I had to cannibalise the existing one. I don’t really like cutting up car parts as I like to retain them so I can return the car to stock in the future should I ever need to, but here it was necessary. I marked out roughly the size that I needed with some masking tape, I didn’t have a tape measure to hand so this was purely guess-work.

I removed all the blanking plugs and the headlight levelling switch (more on that later) and began cutting out the area using a junior hacksaw, which was the best tool I had available at the time, I am so impatient that I just had to get it done right away and couldn’t wait for use of any better tools. I had to remove the hacksaw blade a couple of times to put it through the holes in order to cut some parts.
This is where I wish I had taken some more photos along the way. Once the worst of the fascia was cut out, I smoothed off the edges with a coarse file to take away the excess plastic, a word of advice here is to work slowly with the file, if you do it too fast the plastic tends to melt and get stuck in the file. Having a vice or other method to hold it would also be a great help – I held mine in my hands while working on it which wasn’t ideal.

The head unit fits in the fascia perfectly. This being only a cheap Chinese unit, the design isn’t too pretty and the bottom corners are pointy and stick out slightly from the fascia. It’s also worth noting that the buttons on the side do overlap the fascia a fair amount, at a rough guess at least 5mm per side so with a better head unit it would look a lot smarter.

Sideways view, it fits perfectly. In the future I hope to upgrade to a Android head unit with DAB radio if my finances ever permit.
For the wiring, you will need an adapter harness to use any aftermarket unit. I picked one up cheap on ebay, it cost me just £2.99 and arrived next-day in the post! Great service, this was from “ghost-audio-accessories” in the UK. Search for “Rav4 ISO Adapter” to find the right one, I won’t post a link here as the links expire after 90 days.

The antenna in my case plugs straight in without issue, some head units may require a “DIN to ISO” adapter. The Rav4 uses a DIN antenna plug which is just over an inch long with a pin on the end. Some newer head units require a ISO plug which is much smaller and shorter but adapters are cheaply available for 99p on ebay if needed.

And now it’s fully fitted, the white cable to the left is a USB port to plug in a memory stick and such to the head unit, I’ll hide that in the glove compartment. One thing to note, with this head unit, as it’s not mounted in a slide-out cage, I was unable to screw it in place because the fascia gets in the way of this. The fascia does however clip solidly in place and holds it very well without any additional support.
I have temporarily relocated the original storage compartment from this panel to a higher location where the old head unit previously was. The screws and brackets from the old head unit were perfect for the job. Excuse the filth here, it’s only temporary

I have since ordered a combined storage compartment and cup holder from ebay which will replace it. With me being a great lover of fast food, this will be far more useful to me and it only cost £5. I’m still waiting for it to be delivered at the moment so I will update this thread when it’s fitted.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Congrats on the double din mod, but there are several of us who have done this, I would like to see photos when you get a chance to post some.

Yes, there is a double din mounting position at the bottom of the console and many RAV4.1s made for countries other than the US has a double din head unit factory installed there. I have a thread on my mod, see http://www.rav4world.com/forums/84-4-1-accessories/227009-install-double-din-radio-gauges-12v-power-point-usb-power-point.html.

You can buy a bezel for it as well, see this thread for information - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/265554-double-din-radio-surround-lower-center-stack.html

Here is a photo of my initial setup, I have since moved the gauges and installed a CB radio in the old upper radio single din slot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey eodgator, great to see you have done the same. I'm amazed none of this info showed up in the many google searches that I tried, couldn't even find any pictures or any information at all which I thought was most unusual.

Mine is a UK model. I've got a panel on the way similar to yours below your head unit, but only a two way unit with the voltmeter and dual USB output, I'm planning to mount that where the ashtray is at the moment for lack of another place. I'll see if I can post those photos after this...

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Is the megazip site where everyone else has purchased the oem double din bezel from ? Or are there other sites that sell it ?

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
I think you need 5 or more posts to post pictures. They give you very limited space, but there are a work arounds. Also consider the small payment required to become a lifetime member, there is a lot of good information here, just it's not always that easy to search. For instance if you are trying to find out bout mods to the bonnet and wings, here in America we would be calling them a hood and fenders, LOL.

I would highly recommend starting a profile with your information.
From there you can start a garage to list your mods and maintenance on your RAV4.

Work around #1 - start an album or two say one for mechanical and another for other mods. Post pictures around 1024x768, they blow up for detail but aren't too large. After you load a photo you can open it and you will see an image and a URL link under the photo. When posting photos to threads, use the image link and it will show up as a large photo and it won't use up all your space if you want to post the same image in multiple threads.

Work around #2 - you can post URL links from other web sites and they will also show up and not use up all your space. Be aware though if you change accounts latter or the host site that you are using mods the URLs at some point in the future it will kill all your posted photos.

Add a signature in the profile section something like mine that tells us what version of the RAV4 you have. That way when you are asking questions we about moding or fixing something we all know what you have at a glance. You can also add a small photo and a favorite saying.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Is the megazip site where everyone else has purchased the oem double din bezel from ? Or are there other sites that sell it ?
I don't know I haven't tried buying one, I just modded my cup holder bezel which is what was on mine before I installed the double din radio head.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Reactions: DJ Sueno

·
Registered
357 Posts
Double DINs are very popular overseas and the installs look very clean, one thing that makes it look nicer is to do it without the trim ring that goes around the radio. This would be similar to an ISO mount where you take apart the dash and install it on the factory brackets.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,

So I've been thinking and planing out a different way to get a double din into the car, and for me personally, i'd like it up top instead of down below. I have the fold down cup holder for the bottom panel and i'd like to really keep them, haha.

Anyways... I came across 2 items online that would possibly allow me to mount a double din on the dash, without having to create some Frankenstein ABS double din enclosure.

Metra 95-9000 Universal Double DIN Housing Installation Dash Kit
I have to take some measurements, but it's listed at 15 x 22 x 5 in, so i'd have to take a look at if it's even a possibility. But if anyone has any info on this type of installation that would be great :)

The second item i came across was ATV/RV/Truck Double-Din Underdash Housing Radio Install Kit Car Stereo 95-9000
This one, the first issue it noted and may have some limitations on the actual double din stereo i use. this one list the opening at 6 7/8 inches x 3 7/8 inches, which might require some sanding to open up 7 inches x 4 inches for a larger stereo.

Now if this is even doable i'm not sure yet, as i'd have to route any radio/stereo/camera wires into one of the housing above. Anyone have any experience in routing wires up?

The plan for where my single din stereo is now is to pop in a bank of switches for lights/USB/charging outlet OR possibly a CB Radio for ****z-n-gigglez.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Hi all,

So I've been thinking and planing out a different way to get a double din into the car, and for me personally, i'd like it up top instead of down below. I have the fold down cup holder for the bottom panel and i'd like to really keep them, haha.

Anyways... I came across 2 items online that would possibly allow me to mount a double din on the dash, without having to create some Frankenstein ABS double din enclosure.

Metra 95-9000 Universal Double DIN Housing Installation Dash Kit
I have to take some measurements, but it's listed at 15 x 22 x 5 in, so i'd have to take a look at if it's even a possibility. But if anyone has any info on this type of installation that would be great :)

The second item i came across was ATV/RV/Truck Double-Din Underdash Housing Radio Install Kit Car Stereo 95-9000
This one, the first issue it noted and may have some limitations on the actual double din stereo i use. this one list the opening at 6 7/8 inches x 3 7/8 inches, which might require some sanding to open up 7 inches x 4 inches for a larger stereo.

Now if this is even doable i'm not sure yet, as i'd have to route any radio/stereo/camera wires into one of the housing above. Anyone have any experience in routing wires up?

The plan for where my single din stereo is now is to pop in a bank of switches for lights/USB/charging outlet OR possibly a CB Radio for ****z-n-gigglez.
Looks like a plan as long as it doesn't interfere with your view of the road or become a big distraction while driving.

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts