Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Which surrounding fascia do you prefer for the radio, including all aspects such as color & price?

• Option 1 - American International

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2 - Toyota

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With help from this site and some other intensive searching I ended up installing a Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX in my recently acquired 2008 Rav4 Sport.

I'd read various complaints about the plastic fascia kits that people has used to install their radios ($15-25) vs the pseudo-factory option ($90 total). So I did both, because I'm fairly particular. Using the factory plastic parts allows you to retain the metal brackets that come with the regular non-JBL radio. Using the 3rd-party kit requires using a plastic bracket that places the head unit a bit farther forward toward the driver. As you can see in the pictures they have pros and cons, in terms of material/color matching, panel gaps, cost, and screen position.

Option 1: American International TOYK994 Dash Kit provided by Crutchfield with purchase.

Option 2: Toyota Part No.: 55410-42120-B0 (intended for factory navigation option) + Scosche TA1465B Double DIN/ISO Brackets (either side)

Which do you prefer? I'll let you know what I went with after some voting. Curious as to the public opinion.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
The Scosche color blends in more since it is grey and the dash kit goes in more which I like. I have the American International one myself. Since the Scsoche was out of stock I went with the American International.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like the Toyota one matches the plastic? That’s way better IMO.

the question is does the new HU sink in too far with that to make the buttons and controls on the edge too hard to use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the Toyota one matches the plastic? That’s way better IMO.

the question is does the new HU sink in too far with that to make the buttons and controls on the edge too hard to use?
Oddly it's sort of the opposite. With the American International one, it's all kind of one level, so the buttons are almost recessed or level with the surrounding bezel. Even though the HU itself is more recessed in the stock Toyota one, the Scosche side brackets don't interfere with the buttons, so they're easier to press.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like the Toyota one matches the pla
Oddly it's sort of the opposite. With the American International one, it's all kind of one level, so the buttons are almost recessed or level with the surrounding bezel. Even though the HU itself is more recessed in the stock Toyota one, the Scosche side brackets don't interfere with the buttons, so they're easier to press.
Interesting. I would definitely choose that one then. It looks better and it seems it even works better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Option 2 looks better than 1, but I bought the Scosche TA2055B kit for my Pioneer DD unit since it blended better. I actually don't even use the buttons/touch panel on the radio since all can be controlled by the SWI.
Does that one truly match the factory dash? The pics I've seen seem very slightly off, which would drive me bonkers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts