Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone give directions re. the installation of Doube Din Stereos? The only place I can think of is the single opening in the lower middle part of the dash, has anyone drilled an opening to accomodate a Double Din? Would the unit be too low to be safe? Some of these Stereos have lots of features that can only be available in a Double Din, any pictures would help.... Thank you.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sorry BAZRAV4, can't help you on this one. Actually, I've never seen a double DIN setup installed on a 4.1 ever. :cry: Not that it is impossible, but because of the extensive work that would have to be done.

The location that you suggest might work, but have you considered that inserting/removing a CD would cause interference with the gear shift? Also, it may be a bit awkard to reach that far down to reach the head unit?

What type of features does the double DIN have that the single units don't? Just curious. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Franco, very similar to what I had in mind, thanks, except that I would place just one unit in there instead of two separates. The Double Din typically has both a cassette and a CD slot, bigger internal amps and better displays. As for the interference, I think the display would be too low for any safe driving, since the CD slot is in the upper most part, it should not interfere with the gear lever. Maybe a nice GPS screen would fit in there perfectly. I just have no clue why those idiots at Toyota did not allow for a Double Din in the fist place, similar to most of their other offers during those model years :twisted:

J

·
0 Posts
Jap Import RAV's have Double DIN Stereos fitted where they are n Francos Pics as Standard fitment. Mine has a Toyota CD/Radio/Tape Player fitted there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts