Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so my wife recently picked up a 2010 rav4 sport model and has the basic am/fm radio setup. Any recommendations for a good double din? Plan on installing a backup camera for her as well. I found a pioneer one (use one in my evo and really liked it) but i'm willing to hear what other brands people used and really like.

Couldn't find any sort of double din metra kits only these prebuilt setups (http://www.amazon.com/Pioeneer-Intelligent-Navigation-Touchscreen-Double-DIN/dp/B00BVIDMUK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_422_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41MhwW+uHkL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1H7G2K9W1ZDX5MQ7XAA3)

·
Registered
263 Posts
i was doing the same.. i actually started this thread (New headunit/hvac set up! - evolutionm.net) for my evo's setup. i wouldn't run anything that's not android, so it looks like i'll be staying away for my rav4

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Hey guys, so my wife recently picked up a 2010 rav4 sport model and has the basic am/fm radio setup. Any recommendations for a good double din? Plan on installing a backup camera for her as well. I found a pioneer one (use one in my evo and really liked it) but i'm willing to hear what other brands people used and really like.

Couldn't find any sort of double din metra kits only these prebuilt setups (http://www.amazon.com/Pioeneer-Intelligent-Navigation-Touchscreen-Double-DIN/dp/B00BVIDMUK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_422_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41MhwW+uHkL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1H7G2K9W1ZDX5MQ7XAA3)
That is NOT a Pioneer--it is a cheap Chinese fake. Notice how they misspell Pioneer and there are no Pioneer logos on the front?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

Couldn't find any sort of double din metra kits only these prebuilt setups (Amazon.com : Pioeneer Intelligent In Dash Navigation For (2006-2012) Toyota RAV4 6-8 Inch Touchscreen Double-DIN Car DVD Player & In Dash Navigation System, Navigator, Build-In Bluetooth, Radio with RDS, Analog TV, AUX&USB, iPhone/iPod Controls, stee)
You would actually consider putting a "Pioeneer" unit in your car?:serious

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for your input. about 20 mins after I had posted this I realized it was a knock off POS haha I haven't purchased anything yet. I did however find a metra kit and plan on getting a LEGIT pioneer deck like the one in my evo. i'm deployed right now so wont be able to post pics anytime soon

i was doing the same.. i actually started this thread (New headunit/hvac set up! - evolutionm.net) for my evo's setup. i wouldn't run anything that's not android, so it looks like i'll be staying away for my rav4
Bro dude, that write up helped me a lot during install for my IX! A little off topic but here's what it looked like during my install lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
lol! didn't go that crazy myself but good work.

what's nice about our evos is it's just a double din that controls everything. with the rav4s and buttons integrated with everything, choices are extremely limited... however, the guys that built my 2din for the Evo make one specially for the Rav4

Joying® Aftermarket Best Head Unit, Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Joying Quad Core High Vision 1024*600 Plug and play Head Unit Toyota RAV4 7 Inch Double Din Pure Android 4.4.4 kitkat GPS Navigation System 16 GB Memory , android phone mirroring

yes it's a chinese company but very happy with mine. not sure i'll get it for the rav4 though, don't really care to plunk down too much $ on this car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought the pioneer avh-x5700bhs from Amazon for about $350, but also needed to add the Sirius xm adapter ($30), steering wheel adapter ($10), double dip adapter from new pioneer to your year of rav4 ($20), video parking brake bypass control ($6), zeronet front and rear cam video recorder, and two kicker 6.75" front speakers ($120) which also needed plastic Toyota speaker mount adapters to fit ($6). Total around $600 all on Amazon.

Navigation for that pioneer is +$300 , but I can mirror my smartphone through the large screen, but sometimes the connection goes off and on with an HTC desire 626.

Took me more than a few days to get all the wires connected right. My earlier post shows how to connect the rear cam but I would recommend just buying the zeronet $80 Amazon front and rear cam recorder to plug into the back of the head unit. The pioneer won't record video and only shows black and white.

I think it's worth the money, but if you don't know how to deal with tons of different colored wires that don't match up, call to see if a BestBuy will install something you didn't buy from them.

Took me days, but I never blew a fuse or anything. DVD, (will not play Blu-ray), plays MP3, wma, audio, and also avi, divx, mkv, MP4 video from a USB, video out for a second DVD screen to run to the back, has smartphone connection, Bluetooth with directional noise reducing mic, screen mirroring, aux 1/4" jack input, HD radio, Sirius xm, mixtrax, video recording on a loop front and back, and video recording if someone hits your car when parked and off.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also, I have the 2010 rav4 sport SAP model, and can let u know which specific parts I bought and which wires go where, but I think most of it is in my earlier posts. I did use a thread from here to figure out how to connect the head units wires to the cars wires. Most are the same colors, but not all. I'd have to get to my PC. The only real weird issue was that one steering wheel control wire had to be run from the back of the head unit, under the steering wheel, and to the fuse box under the hood popping thing that you pull to pop the hood.

Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can mirror link my HTC626 desire smartphone to the pioneer avh-x5700bhs head unit, but streaming Hulu doesn't seem to work. The audio cones in fine, the phone shows the video, but on the head unit, it just shows the comedy central logo.

I think the USB cable just can't handle the information in real time. Though the DVD player works fine as does the USB video input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spacey, hey man thanks for all the tips and pics! That's the same double din I use in my evo. (and sorry for the really late response, i'm back home from Iraq!). Last time I used mirror link it was REEEAALLY slow, however I just updated the firmware and have yet to try it out. Latest firmware (8.50 I think) was supposed to fix the buggyness.. Anywho, my wife and I's 7 year wedding anniversary is coming up here soon and I plan on doin the double din for my wife as an anniversary gift. So far the parts I have listed to purchase are:

Pioneer AVH-X4800BS Deck (Has Spotify app!)
Micro Bypass
Metra 99-8217 Double Din kit
AUTO-VOX HD (Some generic backup camera because my wife can't park for ****)
Metra Axxess ASWC-1 (retains steering wheel control functionality with the aftermarket radio.)
Metra 70-1761 (radio harness adapter)

ALSO getting a Metra 70-8114 which is a Steering Wheel Control Wire Harness with RCA.. not sure if i'll need it to work with the ASWC-1 or not. (anyone have this installed that can chime in???)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts