Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2007 RAV4 SPORT 4wd with the 5 speed auto v6 with 184k on it. I live in Colorado and first noticed that when driving in the mountains it would have to down shift but wouldn't shift back up into 5th gear for a while, it would just sit there holding the same RPM about 3,000-4,000. I would let up on throttle and it still didnt seem to shift unless I got the RPM up above 4,000 then it would shift, not exactly smoothly either. I didnt know if this was a built in feature by Toyota to protect the transmission fluid from over heating or if I may have a celenoid sticking? I noticed it does it sometimes on the interstate if i I make it down shift. One thing that makes it shift right away is if I physically shift it into 4 then back into drive. I recently had hail damage and now am on the fence whether to keep and fix or take the money and buy another one. Also the engine almost sounds like a dry start when you start it after its been sitting awhile. I dont want to keep it if the transmission or motor maybe on the fritz now. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2007 RAV4 SPORT 4wd with the 5 speed auto v6 with 184k on it. I live in Colorado and first noticed that when driving in the mountains it would have to down shift but wouldn't shift back up into 5th gear for a while, it would just sit there holding the same RPM about 3,000-4,000. I would let up on throttle and it still didnt seem to shift unless I got the RPM up above 4,000 then it would shift, not exactly smoothly either. I didnt know if this was a built in feature by Toyota to protect the transmission fluid from over heating or if I may have a celenoid sticking? I noticed it does it sometimes on the interstate if i I make it down shift. One thing that makes it shift right away is if I physically shift it into 4 then back into drive. I recently had hail damage and now am on the fence whether to keep and fix or take the money and buy another one. Also the engine almost sounds like a dry start when you start it after its been sitting awhile. I dont want to keep it if the transmission or motor maybe on the fritz now. Any advice is appreciated.
A lot depends on whatever maintenance your RAV has gotten. First thing comes to my mind is the transmission fluid. Ever been changed? Check the level/appearance and smell of it? Many people have reported good results by draining the fluid, dropping the pan and cleaning it and the filter. Refill with the proper fluid and drive it for a few thousand miles, then do another drain and refill(no need to drop the pan again).
Same with the engine....oil & filter changed regularly? You DO have 184k on it so some wear can be expected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it with 150k on it and I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic 15k mile oil. I change it every 10K with that oil. I have not done anything with the transmission fluid or filter since I bought it. I went out and checked the transmission fluid today with it hot. Transmission fluid level is at the top of where it needs to be and smells ok. The color on a white paper towel doesn't look bad, its not brand new but pinkish with a hint of brown.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I bought it with 150k on it and I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic 15k mile oil. I change it every 10K with that oil. I have not done anything with the transmission fluid or filter since I bought it. I went out and checked the transmission fluid today with it hot. Transmission fluid level is at the top of where it needs to be and smells ok. The color on a white paper towel doesn't look bad, its not brand new but pinkish with a hint of brown.
Well, 10k on synthetic, can't do much better than that. I would certainly try the transmission fluid changes though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I am leaning toward letting the insurance company take it. I pulled all the codes on it the other day and its not throwing any codes. I think the computer just sensed it being under to much load possibly and thats why it didnt want to shift. the weird thing is that i left off the throttle and it still dint want to shift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts