Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this hitch off Amazon a few weeks ago so I can put a bike carrier on, however, as it turned out 3 of the 5 bolt threads were rusted and there was no way to install it unless it was retapped. I bought a can of penetrating oil and 40-pc metric tap-and-die set from nearby Harbor Freight and used the 12mm x 1.5 to fix the threads. The vehicle has the tow package, so after I removed the factory bracket held in by two bolts on the driver side, there was only 1 that needed to be reworked. The other two are on the passenger side, one closest to the bumper had enough room that I didn't need to drop the muffler, but the one above the muffler took longer than it should have, and was much easier after the muffler was dropped. Below are some pictures.

Draw-Tite hitch and parts.

Rusted thread, nothing could be threaded in.

Oil and tap in action.

Retapped.

Muffler was unclipped at two bushing locations.

Old jack to support the hitch while I hand tighten the bolts with washers.

Everything bolted in.

Installed result.

I can definitely feel the extra weight with the hitch on while driving. It took longer than I wanted only because I didn't drop the muffler in the first place for that last hole, but in the end, it all worked out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I would not be towing with only two bolts on one side. That's weird.

The OE hitch is expensive, however it bolts in not only in those the tree holes per side, but also into the end of the frame (using the dog bone adapters existing there) plus some side-ways reinforcements:

Look at this beast! This is driver side.

Here you can see the lateral-tie bracket (only on the passenger side). Probably Toyota determined that's sufficient for side rigidity.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The factory hitch system is better set up for heavy usage, but I'm not planning to tow a camper or boat, mainly to use it as a bike carrier. Regardless, also pointing out the ordeal with the rusted threads.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Ah, yes, for bike is definitely OK. I was looking at that class III hitch receiver... thinking that you might eventually tow something big.

And yes, I feel you with the rust, it can be a bear to deal with. My previous truck had lived in the rust belt for three years before I bought it and I swear to myself never again (especially after I broke a threader in a hole that I was trying to clean). I still can't remove any O2 sensors on that car.

For my RAV4, I paid a premium, just because it lived in my area and was rust free.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have that same hitch which I got for just $89 USD with free shipping. The safety chain is a bit hard to fit due to the wide ring so I put a quick link in. That hitch has 5 bolts which is better than most that only have 4 bolts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And yes, I feel you with the rust, it can be a bear to deal with.
It was my first time using the tap kit and definitely not fun, especially with limited space and lying on a creeper.

That hitch has 5 bolts which is better than most that only have 4 bolts.
That's why I like it aside from the OEM version.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The safety chain is a bit hard to fit due to the wide ring so I put a quick link in
Note that stainless steel is weaker than steel (and it does stretch a lot more). In some jurisdictions that link would be illegal to use since it was not tested for the load.
210 N/mm2 VS 355 N/mm2.
Just saying...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Note that stainless steel is weaker than steel (and it does stretch a lot more). In some jurisdictions that link would be illegal to use since it was not tested for the load.
210 N/mm2 VS 355 N/mm2.
Just saying...
These can handle around 5000 lbs. So most likely the most I would tow is less than 1500 lbs. This is still safer if you don't go near the limit plus it is almost double the chain thickness even.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have that same hitch which I got for just $89 USD with free shipping. The safety chain is a bit hard to fit due to the wide ring so I put a quick link in. That hitch has 5 bolts which is better than most that only have 4 bolts.
DL- where did you get that smoking deal on the hitch?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
DL- where did you get that smoking deal on the hitch?
I got that from Autoanything. That hitch was on sale for $99 and I had a coupon for 10% off. Mind you this was 5 years ago. It was out of stock and I waited a month for inventory but in the end was worth the wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got that from Autoanything. That hitch was on sale for $99 and I had a coupon for 10% off. Mind you this was 5 years ago. It was out of stock and I waited a month for inventory but in the end was worth the wait.
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts