Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Looking Good. :D
Don't forget that angled mid line that gives the RAV that look of motion. :wink: I luv that line in many other cars including the Cadilac CTS

Ggirl what do you use Autocad for?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

puttputt: not sure if i'm going to customize it as i sort of cheated drawing it :p. I used a picture and drew on it and that model looked pretty base, just like mine but with better rims :oops:.

mionee67: I'm majoring in architecture so i took CAD classes in college. I also use it at work, but not as often as i would like. I work for a stucco subcontractor and do take-off of plans, but i only do the foam trim. To kill time at work, i go to the Autocad tutorials and do different things.

I know i won't have anything to do today, maybe i'll draw another one, or if i feel brave, i'll do a 3D thing of it, although my knowledge on Autocad is not that advanced... i don't know :roll: :p.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, since i had nothing to do at work (again), i decided to work more on that drawing and put some color and all that. Also drew bigger tires, which i think looks pretty cool! I wish my car were a different green :p. Check it out and tell me what you think :p

·
Registered
986 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
Ok, since i had nothing to do at work (again), i decided to work more on that drawing and put some color and all that.
Can we trade jobs?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Architecture is one of my favorite things! :D
Have you considered learning high-end software like Alias?

I studied Alias in the U of T school of architecture. The first hour made me and my class think “What the hell are we doing here”?, We could barely make a 5 box city.
However it took a few months of 12 –14 hour evening and nights to master it and become a pro.
Even if there are a few thousand pages of Tutorials/ references just keep at it.
Just read every tool that was relevant along the way.
My Schooling started in Art and progressed into Auto Design and Product design but a few things like Engineering, Architecture etc….. I learned hands on along the way.
I build products, engineer them (even though it’s CAID), build CNS parts, provide Virtual images for ADS or Packaging (what people in this group seem to call PhotoChop), even do patent drawings with it.
However, I never have used it to build a house or any of my renovations yet.

A really funny thing is that I did make a unique Exterior custom crown molding for a building in Italy but if I put it in this post I will exceed the limit. :shock:

Anyhow, my companies URL has been down for 3 months and I have no time to fix it so I put a pic in my album of an unfinished Mercedes I done in U of T 12 years ago when I was a beginner. I did it freehand mostly from drawings which is very hard without the actual physical product.

Keep on studying the CAD software so we can discuss some modeling tools on RAV4 World on your free time.. or should I say your company time. :roll: :wink: :D

Walt

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alien18 said:
wow thats amazing wat u did!!! How long did it take you to do that??
:shock: :D
I'll say about 2 hours total, i think :p. I didn't go to work today cuz i got tons of homework for tonight and i still didn't have anything to do at work :p.

LOL :lol: Jeff. SURE! :p.

puttputt, i couldn't possibly be a designer for Toyota. My imagination and creativity can only go so far :p. I cheated drawing that cuz i put a picture of the Rav in the background and traced it :p. There... my secret's out :shock: :D.

Walt, so what exactly did you major in? CAD drafter? Never heard of Alias before. I once wanted to go to IT Tech but my evil aunt told me a whole bunch of bs about that place, and i believed her as i just came to the US, so i had no idea about anything. I could've been working at an Architecture firm already :evil: :x :(. Oh well, ce la vie. There's a program with Autocad called Viz Render and i still have to learn it cuz it's like photoshop but more integrated with Autocad. And yes, Walt, as you guessed, i used my company time to learn more Autocad by going to the help section or the Autodesk discussion forums. I learned a lot by going there :).

Thanks guys for your great comments :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
As for Major, no major. Mostly Colleges, or working together with many Consultants. U of T was a certificate course in CAID software.

CAD software like CATIA or PRO E are high end solid modeling packages used for engineering parts. Meaning if you had a cylinder it would be solid. Very simple.

CAID is Computer Aided Industrial Design. A high end surface modeling package. Made for designing complex surfaces. Usually the housings of products
The same cylinder would be like a piece of paper rolled up with a paper cap on both ends. Unless you closed it the Inside empty and also these surfaces have no real thickness until you add a second sheet behind it and put surfaces on all four corners.
The modeling part of Alias used for Auto Design, product design, Models for Movies, Video Games and Advertising. Maya, the Animation side is used for films like Jurassic park, Star Wars, Toy Story etc….
My company actually worked in reverse taking the models from the TV series Reboot and gave them requested dimension and rebuilt them for SLS output used for prototypes before heading to China.
Also there is a Virtual reality studio built in for camera and lighting. It is same as in the real world with exception to the fact that certain laws of physics don’t apply and you can do some things that are impossible.

So basically when you model in CAID for output SLS or CNC (robotic laser built or carved part) it is Virtual reality. Meaning, if I Invent a product in my head, I sketch it out, model it in CAID as if I where making it in the LAB, Paint any color or give any texture to it, then Engineer any functioning parts. What you see on that monitor is what you will get in weeks of SLS, molding, part assembly and final painting.

Here is a link to their site. There are other high end packages but I don’t keep track of them.
http://www.alias.com/eng/index.shtml

As for you studies keep working on your goals. It’s never to late.
Unfortunately my Turin College sucked from the owner down. One of my teachers would come in Drunk to teach. I stilled gained architectural knowledge, learned Italian and other positive things happened that where a result of being in Italy.
Focus your time and money on your studies and it will pay off in the end.

Later, :D

Walt

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow!

Awesome! I've always wanted to do that but never sat down to do it. Can I steal it from you? Mind sharing your .dwg file? I'm happy to put it in my drawings...and credit you if questioned.

This rav4 project of your reminds me of when I drew a forklift....yes, a forklift for this newspaper plant we were designing. I spent an hour or so on it and it came out pretty nice. I hid my initials in small letters on the drawing itself.

The forklift was to be shared amongst our studio of 13 other people. When final presentation came along, I noticed my forklift on a ton of other people's drawings....who didn't have permission to use it. It was funny to see my initials as a blob on everyone's elevations! Hahhah.

I guess if they noticed the initials and didn't bother to erase it, they don't need my permission, but itwas funny nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Walt, thanks for all that info. I'll look into it. Wow, i'm so jealous, you went to Italy! That's my number one place to go when i go to Europe someday :p. And yes, my determination to get my BA in Architecture is pretty solid. Nothing in this world is gonna stop me to get that degree :twisted:, unless i die before that of course :lol: :p.

:lol: LOL, that's funny.. very clever zoomie :D :lol:
Sure, i'll send you the dwg file to your email ;).

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Walt, thanks for all that info. I'll look into it. Wow, i'm so jealous, you went to Italy! That's my number one place to go when i go to Europe someday Razz.
Then study some Italian the meantime if you want to get around over there. Also get tips on safety and must places to see and food to eat.

I could not see a pic of you dog on any link. :roll:

Also, i finally got my Companies website up again. Man the hosting site has damn good customer service :shock:

Cheers Walt :D

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Click on the www button below my post, right where the album button is. I think it works, but i could be wrong :p

Cool stuff Walt! The spoiler on that Ford SUV looks real, nice rendering! I couldn't get a look of the rear and side view of your MB as when i clicked on the pic, only the pic you have in your album came up. I think my favorite will have to be the exo-skeleton.. pretty cool :D

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Mariam i think i got a logon page on your www link. :roll:
Can you put Cosita in your album ?
Thanks for the compliment. As for the ExoS. that was designed by an entertainment company that also worked on the Transformers show. On that particular model they obviously had an Eng. to do it and my role was only to rebuild it for Rapid Prototyping at the size the Toy company wanted.
I will temporarily put the rear view of the MB in the my Album for you. I did not put it on the Website because i have so many newer models from the last 5 - 6 years to still add.
I think you will be interested in looking under Product Design/Toys/HanginHarry where you can see some neat effects in virtual rendering before the rapid Prototype was made, using tools like; reflection, refraction, shading, plastic color and selection.
I learned much in the past from my associate photographer in understand the softwares camera studio/lighting technics.
So when you design your building interiors you can produce any kind of light, set the lumens, and visualize it. You can also select, assign and evaluate all of your wood, laminate, wallpaper and paint before the construction project even starts. :wink:

Cheers, :D

Walt

1 - 20 of 44 Posts