Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2012 RAV4 Sport 4-cyl with about 40k miles on it now. It is the newest vehicle we own so I may be a little out of touch with the way newer cars are set up to work.

This is the thing. When cruising along at say 30 or 40 mph or so and you need to slow for whatever reason, lifting off the pedal seems to have very little effect. There's no "over-run" like I'm used to with other cars. I tried lifting off on a quiet road and the car just carried on, hardly slowing at all.

So whenever I want to slow down at all, I'm forced to use the brakes, which brings me to the other problem I have with this vehicle. The original front brakes and rotors only lasted a little over 30k miles before they were worn out, which I think is abysmal. I know that's pretty low for this model.

So I'm wondering if the drive by wire throttle is faulty, ie, maybe not fully closing the actual throttle plate when required. I've asked the Toyota dealer to check it and they say it's working properly but I'm not sure. Does anyone else have a similar problem, and had to renew their brakes at such a low mileage?.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
If you shift the gear selector into neutral when this happens, how many RPM does the tach read? How many RPM does the tach read if you leave the vehicle in gear when this problem takes place?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
We have a 2012 RAV4 Sport 4-cyl with about 40k miles on it now. It is the newest vehicle we own so I may be a little out of touch with the way newer cars are set up to work.

This is the thing. When cruising along at say 30 or 40 mph or so and you need to slow for whatever reason, lifting off the pedal seems to have very little effect. There's no "over-run" like I'm used to with other cars. I tried lifting off on a quiet road and the car just carried on, hardly slowing at all.
Mine has always been this way. Take your foot off the accelerator, and it wants to coast forever. I don't think it has anything to do with the "drive by wire" throttle but more with the way the transmission is designed. When I am coasting, I can feel the torque converter "unlock"--it feels like a little surge of power. That and the LRR tires. As for the brakes, I have the V6 which has larger front brakes, rotors, and master cylinder. The I4 with the 3rd row seats have the larger brakes as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Same comments as JuneBug. It took some getting used to as my previous cars were 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you shift the gear selector into neutral when this happens, how many RPM does the tach read? How many RPM does the tach read if you leave the vehicle in gear when this problem takes place?
Cruising at 2000rpm in D, lifting off in gear immediately drops the rpm to about 1500, then knocking into neutral, it goes down to about 1000. Idle in Park is more like 650-700

Mine has always been this way. Take your foot off the accelerator, and it wants to coast forever.
So maybe it's something I have to get used to then. My other vehicles all have manual transmissions and I don't drive my wife's RAV4 that much. Thanks for all the replies. It's really the seemingly heavy brake wear that concerned me.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Cruising at 2000rpm in D, lifting off in gear immediately drops the rpm to about 1500, then knocking into neutral, it goes down to about 1000. Idle in Park is more like 650-700

So maybe it's something I have to get used to then. My other vehicles all have manual transmissions and I don't drive my wife's RAV4 that much. Thanks for all the replies. It's really the seemingly heavy brake wear that concerned me.

My RAV is the V6 model so it may OEM behave differently from your RAV. When I take my foot off the accelerator what takes place depends upon vehicle speed, which gear the trans is in and whether the torque converter is locked or unlocked. Generally below 45 mph it downshifts while decelerating and one can feel the downshifts, although they're not abrupt. But I will need to try what I asked about your RAV's behavior when I drive it again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts