Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to keep a family tradition alive and also trying to give the drive-in theater some business so hopefully it won't go bankrupt. I am planning to go to the drive-in movie next week.

Has anyone done this before in their Rav4H? I will need to run the audio system for the duration of the movie. Planning to see Dunkirk, so definitely need the sound cranked up. With the smaller 12v battery will this be OK?

Also there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the instrument cluster it just keeps showing "Power On" and the Audio system screen is also on. There is a "Screen Off" function that I have shown in pic #1. When you turn the audio screen off, it does actually turn off, goes fully off, but just for a few seconds, then the screen automatically turns back on. In the daytime, it may look like it is off, but from the attached pic #2 you can see that it is actually on, but just has a blank screen. So also wondering about power draw from both the instrument cluster screen and audio screens being on. But anyhow, having them on are distracting. Does anyone know how to really turn them off?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am trying to keep a family tradition alive and also trying to give the drive-in theater some business so hopefully it won't go bankrupt. I am planning to go to the drive-in movie next week.

Has anyone done this before in their Rav4H? I will need to run the audio system for the duration of the movie. Planning to see Dunkirk, so definitely need the sound cranked up. With the smaller 12v battery will this be OK?

Also there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the instrument cluster it just keeps showing "Power On" and the Audio system screen is also on. There is a "Screen Off" function that I have shown in pic #1. When you turn the audio screen off, it does actually turn off, goes fully off, but just for a few seconds, then the screen automatically turns back on. In the daytime, it may look like it is off, but from the attached pic #2 you can see that it is actually on, but just has a blank screen. So also wondering about power draw from both the instrument cluster screen and audio screens being on. But anyhow, having them on are distracting. Does anyone know how to really turn them off?
We have a local drive in theater here that we took our RAV to once. We covered the MID and infotainment screens which worked fine but what got us was that in either mode (acc or acc with hybrid system on, first power button push and second power button push without brake pedal respectively) the system shuts off and the dome lights come on after 15 minutes so through the whole movie we'd have to turn it back onto acc mode every 15 minutes after getting blinded by the dome lights. We didn't want to fully turn on the vehicle since it'd be a distraction for other movie goers when the ICE kicks on. I haven't loaded up techstream after that to look for an adjustable timeout value to change if there is such a value, we've just been taking our Dodge Dakota to the drive in instead...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
My last memory of a Drive-In theater was with the speaker hanging on the driver's side window. What is the method used now?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same, FM broadcast. Old poles for the window clip on speakers are still there, but don't actually serve any purpose anymore. Well, actually haven't been in a couple of years, so the old poles might also be gone.

Ours ditched the speakers(though the stands for them are still there) and uses FM broadcast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bring a half decent battery powered portable radio. Tune it to the right frequency and listen to that. Leave the car off. I know this doesn't answer your question but it's a good workaround and it's what I would do.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Last week I was listening to the radio in the car while my little son was sleeping. Only the radio (connected bluetooth on my iphone) was running (no light, no ventilation). I just pushed once on the start button (without the gas pedal) to prevent the 12v battery.

I'm not sure how long but at least 30 minutes later, electricity was cut automatically and I received a message on the dash (I forgot to take a picture), something like "To conserve the battery, power has been cut off automatically". I conclude that It was an automatic shut off after a certain period, not because my 12v battery was dying. I did search in the user manual but I didn't find any message regarding this.

I suppose that if it did happen after 30 minutes (maybe more?), it should also happen a few times during 1 or 2 movies! Anybody got this message before?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I suppose that if it did happen after 30 minutes (maybe more?), it should also happen a few times during 1 or 2 movies! Anybody got this message before?
Yep, see my comment above. This happened to us during a movie.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It is actually in the manual, but not where you'd ever find it. 20 min is the time when interior lights and everything turn off, even if you leave a door open. Its the same with the head unit, 20 min.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so post drive-in movie review:
-As expected in car screens could not be turned off, so had them covered with a blanket
-Likewise, I had the same experience of the dome lights coming on and power shutting off, need to push power button a few times to get it back into Acc mode.
-Eventually smartened up after a couple times and used the switch on the dome lights to turn them off so at least they would not automatically come on, just power gets cut.
-Dont have a portable radio so in car radio had to do. Only had time to stay for 1 movie, but there was no power problems with seeing 1 movie (other than the power auto shutoff every so often).

From a nostalgia point of view I really wanted to love going to the Drive-in, but in reality it is probably best described as like the experience of going camping in a tent (drive-in movie) vs vacation in a hotel (megaplex theatre). If you didn't grow up going to the drive-in, taking off the rose coloured glasses, I must admit lets you see why they have dropped out of popularity:
-No climate control - Can't leave car running for heat or A/C
-Leaving down the windows a bit exposes you to bugs and mosquitos coming in to your car. You know when the concession stand sells insect repellent this is a different experience...
-Although screen size is large, you are also much further from the screen resulting in the screen taking up a much smaller field of view.
-Image quality worse
-Sound quality worse (FM is only a stereo signal, so you don't have true surround sound).
-Show times not as convenient
-Theater far away

And with the ever increasing cost of real estate, I expect there will continue to be fewer and fewer Drive-ins. Go "camping" while you can ;-)

We have a local drive in theater here that we took our RAV to once. We covered the MID and infotainment screens which worked fine but what got us was that in either mode (acc or acc with hybrid system on, first power button push and second power button push without brake pedal respectively) the system shuts off and the dome lights come on after 15 minutes so through the whole movie we'd have to turn it back onto acc mode every 15 minutes after getting blinded by the dome lights. We didn't want to fully turn on the vehicle since it'd be a distraction for other movie goers when the ICE kicks on. I haven't loaded up techstream after that to look for an adjustable timeout value to change if there is such a value, we've just been taking our Dodge Dakota to the drive in instead...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I remember going as a kid and it was always hot and muggy. We kept a "PIC" coil lit on the dashboard to keep the mosquitoes away. Of course the dashboards were metal back then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts