Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new owner here. I'm changing vehicle fluids soon and was wondering if anyone has specs of the various fluids, differentials, manual transmission etc for a 2003 manual 4WD. Does the transfer case use a separate fluid and does the clutch hydraulics operate off the brake system or a separate system.

Thinking of using Redline products if anyone has experience with those in a Rav4. Thanks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,084 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks James, planning on printing a copy and confirming numbers with the local dealership service department, subsequent TSB's could have created change to any of that information.

·
Registered
419 Posts
flygt - This is my go to fluid capacity link, and I like to use all Amsoil products:

AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide

2003 TOYOTA RAV4 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code 1AZ-FE
LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SL
Maximum Performance Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
Performance OE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT) Above 0 F......10W-30
All TEMPS......5W-30
Manual Transmission,4WD......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)
75W-90 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGRQT)
SEVERE GEAR 75W-110 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVTQT)
Manual Transmission,4WD......GL-4
All TEMPS......75W-90
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
Manual Transmission,FWD......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-90
Manual Transmission,FWD......GL-4
All TEMPS......75W-90
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)
Automatic Transmission,U140F......TIV
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)
Automatic Transmission,U241E......TIV
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)
Differential, Rear......GL-5
Above 0 F......90
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT)
Differential, Rear......GL-5
Below 0 F......80W-90, 80W
Transfer Case,......GL-5
Above 0 F......90
Transfer Case,......GL-5
Below 0 F......80W-90, 80W
Fluids
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [1]
Clutch Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [1]
Power Steering Fluid......AF3
Power Steering Fluid......AF3
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT) [2]
[1] Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT 3
[2] DEXRON®-III Automatic Transmission Fluid
FILTERS:
Oil Filter Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K09)
Oil Filter WIX 57145 Oil Filter
Air Filter WIX 46322 Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter WIX 24900 Cabin Air Filter [1]
[1] Not all models may be outfitted with a cabin air filter. Please verify before ordering.
CHASSIS LUBRICATION:
0 Fittings, 0 Plugs
CAPACITIES:
Engine, with filter..........4.4 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........6.3 quarts
Passenger Car & Light Truck Antifreeze & Coolant
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, U140F Initial Fill..........3.7 quarts
Automatic Transmission, U241E Initial Fill..........3.7 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed U140F..........8.8 quarts
4 speed U241E..........9.1 quarts
Manual Transmission, FWD..........5.3 pints
Manual Transmission, 4WD..........7.2 pints
Differential, Rear..........1.9 pints
Transfer Case, ..........1.9 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.
TORQUES:
Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft/lbs
Manual Transmission
Fill Plug 36 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 36 ft/lbs
Transfer Case
Fill Plug 36 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 36 ft/lbs

OTHER TOP QUALITY PRODUCTS:
By-Pass Oil Filters
Diesel Injector Clean
Cold Flow Improver
Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
PI Performance Improver Gasoline Additive
Product Recommendations and Drain Interval Chart

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Beaumont, the Amsoil site has fairly complete information. I will likely run group V POE ester based oils, Redline or Motul for component internal cleanup and seal conditioning and then switch to PetroCanada fluids.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been doing a lot of reading about trans fluids, to try and improve the poor 1st - 2nd gear shift on my 4.1. This is made more difficult by the 4.1 not having seperate gearbox and transfer, so using the same oil. The 4.2s are seperate I believe.

GL5 is for hypoid diffs and GL4 for gearboxes. GL5 shouldn't be used in gearboxes for 2 reasons -
1 it can contain things that damage synchros.
2 it is slipperyer than GL4 due to the way the crownwheel and pinion mesh/turn, so will reduce effectiveness of synchros, so worse gear change.

So I would only use a GL4 in a gearbox and Redline's MT90 is said to give the best change while still being the correct 75W90 GL4.

I don't know why Toyota spec GL5 for seperate gearboxes, but can understand the difficulty in getting the correct oil in a 4.1. So I can't decide between Redline's MT90 or 75W90NS for mine, maybe a mix of the 2?

Oh, as for engine oil, IMHO, the ?W30 grade required is more to do with mileage/emissions than temperature and engine protection.
Here in the UK the owners manual also includes 15W40 and 20W50 grades, depending on expected outside temps and it doesn't get anywhere near as hot or cold as parts of the US.
So depending on where you live and the mileage on your engine, I'd go for a ?W40 or ?W50. I'm probably gonna use a 10W40 in mine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks. Interesting that both the oils they recommend are GL4 and GL5 rated, so perfect for the 4.1's transaxle with shared oil.
I was however looking for one that specifically improves gear selection, and the MTL, MT90 and 75W90NS state they do this. Lots of searching has found several people confirming the MTL and MT90 do improve gear changes, some from MR2 owners.

The other interesting thing, looking at engine oil for the 4.2s, for the US they only recommend a ?W30, but for the EU they go up to a ?W50, which seems to back up my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jim, adverts of both gear oils recommended by Motul speak to improved gear shifting. The 'Gear 300' product is the ester based version however with much lower pour point. Local dealership tells me that they use the Gear 300 75W90 in all components of various Toyota truck drivelines including Rav4 for winter temperature consideration.

https://www.motul.com/system/produc...106/original/Gear 300 75W90_GB.pdf?1290086772

https://www.motul.com/system/produc...ginal/MotylGear_75W90_TDS_(GB).pdf?1303415358

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks again. I did a bit more reading on both Motul and Red Line. I found some worrying reports of Red Line MT90 causing bearing and gear wear, and breaking down with severe track use, so that's out now.

As you say, the Motul Gear 300 is less viscous at lower temps and is fully synthetic, so as far as I'm concerned, it is the perfect oil for the 4.1's combined gearbox/diff. I'll be buying 6 litres and using it in my rear diff too :)

I don't know why I didn't look at Motul first, as it's one of the few 'synthetics' that is actually 100% synthetic. I also use their 300V 15W50 in my turbo nutter car, due to first hand info about it's performance at very high on the engine dyno.

Now what shall we use for the engine?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Jim, winter temperatures frequently hang around -35C and occasionally drop to -40C in this end of Canada. I see Mobil 1 0W40 went on sale at the local parts store, 4.4 liters for about 15£ so that looks like a good motor oil choice for this season. This 03 Rav now has 100K miles so I will likely continue with a 40 grade of oil.

Mobil 1â„¢ 0W-40

1 - 12 of 12 Posts