Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 RAV4, 49k Miles. Six months ago, Toyota service rep recommended Driveline service. Today while performing (free) state inspection at same dealership, the Driveline service issue came up again. Is it really necessary? Seems each time they don't make much $$$ on a scheduled service, the Service reps start recommending 3-$-digit issues. I don't mind if I really need it, just don't want to get duped.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It would help a bit if you completed your profile or listed your state. Nothing in anything-goes Idaho about Drivelines to pass an inspection.

Also, do you have an AWD RAV? That has a driveline that has an entry in the maintenance schedule for torqueing the driveline shaft bolts,but thats it. First reaction: change dealers, and don't rely on them for inspections--it should be more independent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RAVN4RED; updated profile to show Rav4 LE. Unfortunatley I cant change dealers otherwise I lose the Toyota4Life perks. But I agree and it really starts to annoy me; I have to expect their attempts of duping me each time I roll my vehicle for scheduled maintenance. Next time I'll tell them to stick with what's in the book.

I would like to hear from other forumers their thoughts. Maybe someone out there will tell me otherwise

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Thanks for the profile update. I've heard some states in the east have fairly extensive inspections, not sure about Virginia. You might Google it or call the DMV and pose the driveline question.

However...your profile shows a 2 wheel drive--I don't think it even has a drive shaft so not sure what a "driveline service" would even be. Yours has a transaxle behind the engine that drives the front wheels only. About the only thing to do would be a quick visual check while on the lift of the axle seals, I guess, would take about 30 seconds. Sometimes Dealers start pushing a transmission fluid change around your mileage, but that would be entirely optional and not an inspection requirement.

I would be highly skeptical like you seem to be about this dealer. Learn as much as you can on the forum about the maintenance--best defense is knowledge.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Get your transmission fluid changed NOW for sure. Make sure they replace all of it and not just a pan drop. WS ATF is far from a lifetime fluid. I myself think it is a horrible sub-standard ATF. It can't take any heat, because it is a semi-synthetic. I won't go into it ...you can read my posts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts