Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings!

I have a Rav4.3 2AD-FTV 100KW with 230.000km on the clock. About 5.000 km ago, in the middle of the summer heat, the alternator belt gave away. I was ignorant of car mechanics at the time and drove it 30 minutes/8km in city traffic. I was going to check why the AC wasn't working. I stopped only when I saw the temperature gauge beyond the max! When we opened the hood at the mechanic about 200gr (7 ounce) of coolant fluid had exploded through the safety valve. Replaced the belt and since then the car has been driving ok. No oil or coolant leak.

My question is, what damage may have been caused to the engine? From what I read online, in such case the engine should have at least blown the gasket. Apparently it did not. The 2AD engines are also known to have head gasket problems. Should I talk to the mechanic to replace the head gasket preemptively?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
10,211 Posts
With no oil or coolant leak you probably dodged a bullet for now. But you might want to start a head gasket fund just in case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I don't exactly understand what you are suggesting. Where I live labor is cheap. So a head gasket replacement without machining should cost no more than $100-150 in labor. Plus $100 for the part, it's a $200 job in total. Should I consider it? If it didn't blow, does this mean that no damage has been done to it? Or did I shorten it's life considerably?

Thank you!

·
Registered
328 Posts
He means , start saving some money in case your head gasket is shot and may leak. Don't change it if it's ok though. If you don't have a leak or don't see any coolant in your oil and the temperature of the engine is normal, then keep on driving it.

·
Super Moderator
10,211 Posts
Kevin correctly interpreted my post. Even if the job is relatively inexpensive I wouldn't pull it apart for no reason. And no leaks indicates no damage.

·
Registered
8,584 Posts
I agree with Dr. Dyno. If your RAV runs fine, there are no leaks, and the engine doesn't suddenly begin to use oil I wouldn't disassemble any engine component.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oil change asap, just like the coolant the oil draws heat away from the engine.
getting the oil too hot burns off all of the protective properties that it has.
keep and eye on oil and coolant levels.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Oil change asap, just like the coolant the oil draws heat away from the engine.
getting the oil too hot burns off all of the protective properties that it has.
keep and eye on oil and coolant levels.
This.

Change the oil, and look for signs (and smells) of coolant in the oil, and of oil in the coolant.

If everything seems okay, then it is.
If the head gasket blew, it did not blow from pressure (combustion pressure is far higher than coolant pressure, but rather from the head warping from overheating. This causes the gasket to fail, and the coolant passing through the break in the gasket erodes the aluminum, so IF you need a head gasket, you also likely need some amount of machining, or at least a resurface.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts