Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just purchased a 2000 RAV4 off Craigslist, and it's got some quirks; one of which being the driver side back door outside handle doesn't work. My dad was investigating it once we took it home and got the child safety lock on in that door, meaning the inside handle no longer works to open it either.
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get it back open? And secondly to fix the outer handle? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Locksmith, to use a "slimjim", maybe. Then take the door panel off there before closing the door so that you can replace the latch, etc. once home.

Or to try at home, practice taking the right side door panel off, then do the left with it closed. You may have to remove the back seat to make room to do the left.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I believe the last post by Techsus at URGENT: Rear Passenger Door Won't Open! should be the key to your success. If you get the door panel off (as Techsus describes), and know roughly where the child lock is (by disassembling the other side's door), then you are in fat city. I tried what Techsus described at a salvage yard, in pursuit of a motor inside the rear driver's side door and where the door would not open, and it worked great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts