Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The control panel for my drivers side window comes up occasionally and did last night. Now my drivers side window will not work but all the others do. I live in New Orleans and I need to fix this asap bc I'm also dealing with an engine light issue and I don't like using the A/C unit it is fixed.

Dealer wants to charge me $125 for even looking at it...someone please help? Could this be just a wire issue, not a motor or regulator? All the other windows work fine.

Please help? Thank you

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The control panel for my drivers side window comes up occasionally and did last night. Now my drivers side window will not work but all the others do.
You mention that the windows comes UP occasionally. That seems to imply that it goes down every time without a problem.

If that is the case then the problem is most likely a defective switch in the drivers armrest. The drivers door also has it's own CPU which controls the auto up/down features which may be defective, but the intermittent nature of the problem points to the switch.

There is a 20A (yellow) fuse labelled "D FR DOOR" ( 4th from the right in the bottom row of this image) that is responsible for the drivers door only, but due to the intermittent nature, this fuse is unlikely to be the cause.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much Rick. I'm contacting junk yards Monday and looking for a power window master control switch.

This has been a great car up until the last 3 months, I've put so much money into it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Since your RAV4 is a 1998 model, I moved this thread from the 4.3 to the 4.1 area.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Since your RAV4 is a 1998 model, I moved this thread from the 4.3 to the 4.1 area.
OK, the information I provided was for a 4.3 model.

It doesn't look like the 1998 models have the auto up/down feature so the CPU does not exist, and the 1998 does not have a dedicated fuse for the drivers door. Also the diagram I provided was for a 4.3 RAV.

The problem could still be the power window master switch,but it could also be a defective limit switch inside the motor module. If the limit switch indicates the windows is already in the maximum "UP" position, it will shut off power to the motor preventing it from going any higher.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Since this started when the control panel lifted up, look under it and make sure the connectors and wiring are fully inserted into the switch.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Since this started when the control panel lifted up, look under it and make sure the connectors and wiring are fully inserted into the switch.
The control panel for my drivers side window comes up occasionally and did last night. Now my drivers side window will not work but all the others do.
Perhaps I misunderstood this statement. I originally thought he could raise the window (it goes UP) from the control panel occasionally, and it worked last night, but now it doesn't work at all (Up or Down). I also emphasized that in my first reply "You mention that the windows comes UP occasionally. That seems to imply that it goes down every time without a problem.", without any correction from the OP.

After seeing your post, your interpretation seems more likely, as does your suggestion to the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 3 times and will again bc of the way this happened. The thing popped up a few times and I put it back in place, then stopped working the next morning. Inclined to think this is a simple issue. Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant the control panel switch on the door flips up occasionally. A friend was fixing something in that area a few years ago and something broke that keeps it down and it pops up. It goes back down without problem and did the other night but this time my window will not work. All the other windows do work. Nothing from drivers side, no sounds, nothing. Once it was up the other night, it won't budge now. I can be thankful it didn't break while the window was down I guess.

I'm hoping I can put 97 model parts on my car (98) bc I think I found a model @ a junkyard. Maybe they'll have a switch panel.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sounds as if the mounting tab on the switch was broken off. I think I repaired one via carefully screwing on some spring-steel (black/bluish) in place of the tab. And make sure your connectors are secure.

Also, just as part of general maintenance, clean your channel/seals and window edges, then lightly spray the door channels with silicone spray. Run the windows up and down to spread this lubricant.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You should be able to use many of the parts, but keep in mind that Toyota made some changes to every model year.

Did you look under the switch panel to see if the wires are plugged in?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts