Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1998 4D RAV4 that I've owned for a few months now and for that whole time I haven't been able to unlock the driver's door with the key. If I try to the key just doesn't turn. It still locks fine and the interior power locks still work fine. To unlock the car I have to use the passenger side keyhole.
If anybody knows what's going on there and can help me that would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Does the door's key cylinder turn hard or easily? Hear the latch below moving, or feeling that the cylinder moves some but the latch doesn't?

With the door open, use a screwdriver sideways and close its latching-mechanism. Then use the key on the outside to observe if the latch moves (likely won't); if it does, could be an alignment problem. * Unlock the door the way that works before closing it, to reset the latch to the open position. You've been warned. *

Most likely you'll need to take apart the door (window up, door panel off, then contortionist work with a 1/4 inch socket set) to check the linkages.

On mine, both side's front door handles failed due to plastic fatigue (locks still worked, though). Fortunately I was still able to buy prepainted replacements from Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The key cylinder only turns to lock the door it won't turn at all to unlock the door. I'll take the door panel off and have a look tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts