Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2015 XLE used and one of the driver side floor mat clips was broke. I stopped by the toyota dealer and they gave me a set. However they are the wrong style. As can be seen in the first picture. The wrong ones are P/N 08210-00820 I believe.

Any idea where I can find the correct ones? Or even how to replace them? I have been searching online and have not been able to find any other than the ones listed above.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XSE Hybrid
125 Posts
The ones in the first photo are the wrong model year. I had those in my 2009 Venza, but my 2013 Venza had the same ones you do. Maybe the dealer just used the wrong part number

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to stop back in and see then, thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installation of Driver's side Floor Mat Clip

Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

Tools Required:
- small flat head screw drivers (I used a set for eye glasses)
- head lamp
- xacto knife

Replacement Parts:
P/N 58698-78010 (Plate, Mat Set, LWR)
P/N 58694-78010 ( Gromet Upper)

These parts were ordered from the local dealership for $10. I couldn't find any online or even the part numbers. They quoted me it would be several hours to install and have to remove the carpet (fairly expensive for something so trivial!)...so here goes

Pictures Link: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/members/albums/320473-jfeld/2015-rav4-xle-driver-s-side-floor-mat-clips-7770.html

1. Using a small screw driver bend the 4 tabs towards the center of the clip. My thumb is pointing to on of the tabs.
2. To remove the bottom plate from the carpet, I made 2 1/4" cuts with the xacto knife. It was just big enough to pull it out.
3. Push the new plate in, line it up, and snap the top grommet in to place.

Hopefully the pictures help explain (better than I did!) If you can't see them, let me know and I can upload them again or find a better way to share them.

Hope this helps someone else!

Reactions: oldroadawg

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
Thank you for this, Josh! Please create a photo album on your profile page and upload the pictures there. That way they won't disappear after a year or two like so many others have.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for this, Josh! Please create a photo album on your profile page and upload the pictures there. That way they won't disappear after a year or two like so many others have.
Just added them to an album on my profile and updated the link. Hopefully it works!

Reactions: JuneBug

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since the first day of ownership of our 2014 LTD I have wonder why Toyota didn't install floor mat hold down clips on the front passenger side. My wife is the primary driver and so every time I get in the passenger side the mat seems to always be shoved forward in a crumpled pile from previous passengers. :mad:

While searching the RAV4 forum for solutions, I came across the OP's floor mat clip repair and got thinking if all the hardware could be applied to the passenger side. Well it can, HOWEVER, obtaining the plastic grommets that attach to the floor mat became a real challenge.
You can purchase the retainer twist-lock portion that attaches to the underlying carpet through Toyota parts. "Thanks" to the OP for providing the part numbers. But the grommets on the floor mat cannot be sourced anywhere. After making calls to Toyota, their only suggestion was to purchase a replacement mat in order to acquire the plastic grommets. And of course they will only sell you a set 4 at ... $130. I passed on that.

So after months of searching salvage yards, I finally found a used drivers mat that I could remove the grommets from. I then cut holes and installed them in my passenger mat, along with installing the hold-down retaining clips on the underlying carpet. A bit of a PIA getting under the carpet to position the retainers, but the rest of the install was pretty straight forward.

And since I'm sort of OCD, I'm a happy camper - now the floor mat remains in place. :D

Too bad Toyota didn't spend a few cents more during assembly and add these to the passenger side.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I just stuck some self-stick velcro "hook" strips to the back of the passenger all-weather mat, works perfect, the strips grab the interior carpet just enough to keep the mat from moving when I don't want it to.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I haven't had an issue (rather my wife hasn't) with the passenger side floor mat. But I think the velcro would be easier. I do like the idea of making it look factory!

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
The issue I see with installing the driver's side OEM clips on the passenger side is any water/snow melt will end up under the floor liner because there's no raised area around the holes for the clips to prevent that from happening like there are on the driver's side liners. The reason the clips are factory installed on the driver's side is to prevent the mat/liner from interfering with the throttle pedal, not an issue on the passenger side.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The issue I see with installing the driver's side OEM clips on the passenger side is any water/snow melt will end up under the floor liner because there's no raised area around the holes for the clips to prevent that from happening like there are on the driver's side liners. The reason the clips are factory installed on the driver's side is to prevent the mat/liner from interfering with the throttle pedal, not an issue on the passenger side.
:confused: I'm not sure I follow your thought process, but anyways I don't get water/snow inside my vehicle, so...

And my current and past 3 vehicles (excluding the RAV) have hold down clips for the mats on the passenger side. My Genesis even has them for the back mats.

Photobucket strikes again
Yep! I have since uploaded the pics to my forum photo album

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/mem...droadawg/front-passenger-floor-mats-8130.html

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
:confused: I'm not sure I follow your thought process, but anyways I don't get water/snow inside my vehicle, so...

All-weather liners have a raised area around the clip holes to keep water in the liner instead of going through the clip hole and soaking the carpet underneath. I can't remember the last set of carpet mats I had in any of the vehicle I've owned over the last 50 some years, carpet mats are about as useful as teats on a boar as far as containing water, dirt and sand!:D

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124...oem-all-weather-floor-mats-2.html#post2394673

·
Registered
5 Posts
A car wash popped out and lost the center turning part of the assembly. Like others, I looked for a part number to get a replacement, to no avail. Finally, a service guy at my local dealer found one - said the part is listed on Toyota's Japanese parts site but not the U.S. site. Anyway, the Lower Grommet, which is the primary assembly, is part no. 58698-78010. The Upper Grommet is part no. 58694-78010. I only needed the lower grommet, which was lucky, because that is the only part they had.
After I got it, I realized that installation properly requires removing the carpet, which is a HUGE job. On mine, though, only the center turn part was missing. I decided to try removing that part from the new lower grommet assembly, and it cam out quite easily (I punched it out from the bottom using a blunt punch and a sharp blow - popped right out undamaged). I then simply pressed it into the original grommet and Voila! Good as new.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts