Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, how many owners have noticed a window rattle on either the drivers window or front passenger window.

My drivers window is pretty noticable unless the window is completely shut or open. The most noticeable is when the window is just slightly opened as this creates the most noise.

The service depatment put some felt tape to act as a slight shim, however cannot rectify the problem. I think if any more type of shim is added, it will add stress to the motor.
They indicated that it is normal for the window to have some play & that the demo model also did this.

There is apparently no fix for this window rattle according to 2 Toyota service departments.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had a problem with this either on my new Rav. I did have a window rattle on my 99 Corolla and the window was loose if you would shake it. I remember before the warranty expired I went to roll up the window one day and I noticed my window tint had a huge scratch on it. Make a long story short the window was even looser so I took it to the dealer who took it apart and one of the bolts for the window track had actually popped out. They ended up replacing both window tracks in there and that solved the rattle and everything. Toyota would not replace my window tint which pissed me off and I raised hell about but never got anywhere. Their comment was "Toyota will not cover any aftermarket items that you ad"

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 different dealerships said there is nothing that can be done as this is how the vehicle was engineered. Unless there is a fix directly from Toyota there is nothing that can be done.

I did check on one V6 Limited & one I4 Limited demos at the 2 dealers & they both had a slight rattle when going over bumps.

I wonder if the Sport having the "sport tuned suspension" makes the rattle more noticeable.

Any ideas on a fix?

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I had the same problem with my sport, the front windows rattles when its open a inch or so. The problem went away when the weather warm up. material expension?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
flyingn said:
There are guides that the window follows. If one is not in the correct location or loose it could cause a rattle
Do you think anything can be done or do I have to live with it?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We test drove 2 Sport V6's and 1 Limited V6. All three had a front window rattle from the drivers side, when down slightly. The Limited V6 also had a front passenger side window rattle.
This window rattle/tick does in fact seem to be a design flaw of the 2006 Rav4.

Well, according to 2 Toyota service departments, the window rattle issue is a design flaw that the dealers cannot repair. It looks like I will have to hope for a TSB from Toyota. If enough people complain, Toyota may come up with a solution, perhaps a new window run.

I believe the problem is the Run itself, especially around the front bracket (the inside part of the triangle plastic piece)

I put a piece of rubber weather stripping between the bracket and the weather stripping that is attached to the run. This seems to have tightened up the window & the rattle is much less.

Hopefully, the motor will not be stressed too much from the additonal weather stripping.

Prior to putting the weather stripping on, with the window down slightly, I was able to move the window to create a tick or rattle against the run. With the weather stripping in place, I cannot move the window with my fingers to create the trick or rattle.

I test drove it for about 1/2 hour & it was much improved, however not totally eliminated.

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
They may have fixed it, my March built base doesn't do it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
backtolife,

I picked up my rav in January. I've tried few window opening positions (small gap to fit a finger or open wide) for the last few days. But my windows seems ok, they didn't rattle.

Maybe my rav4 from different production line.

TSQ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts