Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2006 Rav4 Sport with 150K miles on her. About a week or 2 ago I started hearing a clunk / rattle from under the Rav when I went over some bumps. I took her into my Toyota dealer yesterday and they said this was because the drive shaft bushing was torn and the only way to fix was to replace the whole driveshaft for $1,100!

I told them that Toyota driveshafts should last more than 150K and this should be covered by Toyota. They do this repair so infrequently that they would need to order the drive shaft, when i asked them how common replacing driveshafts were, was they said not very.

So 3 questions
1- Does this sound correct that they can't replace just the bushing and they have to replace the whole driveshaft?

2-Am i being unreasonable in thinking that Toyota should cover this?

3- How should i contact Toyota to appeal my case?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

·
Registered
178 Posts
#1 Toyota will only replace the drive shaft...however an independent shop can fix these...do some searching and you will find plenty of information...

#2 Yes you're being unreasonable...how long do you think they should last? Are you gonna give them hell when the trans goes out? Parts wear out...just the way it goes...perhaps the next car you get should be one with a lifetime warranty...and even those will have disclaimers LOL...

#3 Start by contacting the regional office...then go full corporate...write letters, send them certified receipt requested and keep copies...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts