Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
This is my first post to the forum!
I have searched many times and cannot answer my questions.

I am planing to do a fluid change on every part in the drivetrain of my 1996 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4 door automatic.

I cannot figure out what needs which fluid and where I fill/drain because the owners manual, and Toyota service manual (with A540H supplement) are incredibly vague on fluids/plugs. But I do have a rough idea.

So here's what I've been lead to believe from this forum, along with the service and owners manual, Please correct me if I am wrong:

Automatic transmission and front differential[4WD]
: Shared ATF T-IV fluid, separate drain plugs, both filled through Transmission dipstick.

Transfer case: GL-5 SAE 75w-90, drain plug on bottom of transfer somewhere, there is a fill plug but far easier to fill from dipstick.

Rear differential: SAE 90 GL-5 (in Texas) typical drain/fill arrangement for a rear diff.

Again this is speculation since info on this is so vague. I'm used to doing fluid changes on standard 5sp 4x4 systems, like jeeps and similar vehicles, but the rav is a new animal to me.

If I'm wrong, please correct me; also, are there any different fluid recommendations for better performance?

I'd be happy to post pictures of the factory service manual and A540H supplement if anyone would like those.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi NMBP, have a look at the thread started by 'kyoo' called: How-To: ATF Flush & Filter Change. There's also pics/info on changing the diff oil, transfer case oil & engine oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi NMBP, have a look at the thread started by 'kyoo' called: How-To: ATF Flush & Filter Change. There's also pics/info on changing the diff oil, transfer case oil & engine oil.
Thanks for the reply, but I am asking about a 4.1 RAV4, not a 4.3, from what I have been told there are pretty big differences between the two.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The only difference I can see is the Trans Oil, all the rest 'should' be the same. (I might be wrong too).

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only difference I can see is the Trans Oil, all the rest 'should' be the same. (I might be wrong too).
Thank you, I'll look at it as it does seem similar.

Check pages 218-220 in the "Merged_Rav4_User_Manual.pdf" (https://docs.google.com/folderview?p...FlmSTI3aUFhYWM)
for the complete list of fluid quantity / types for the Rav4. I'm pretty sure that all these apply to the pre-facelift models as well.
Also, the following thread is helpful: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...st-diy-transfer-case-fluid-change-w-pics.html
(I suspect you've already seen that though).
Last but not least, I recently came across this video on youtube: How to change Rear Differential Fluid Rav4 Toyota 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 - YouTube
I assumed that was the case, however my laziness does compel me to ask; Would I be correct in thinking the 4WD automatic transmission(*transaxle) and front differential share their fluid supply? This is really the thing I am having the most trouble confirming.

·
Super Moderator
825 Posts
I am no expert (so don't hold me accountable for what I post), but from what I have gathered over the years I understand that:

MTM models: Shared fluid for transaxle and transfer (GL-5)
ATM models: Separate fluids for transaxle (ATF) and transfer (GL-5)

Also, by definition, "transaxle" is a combination of the transmission and the differential so, the 4WD automatic transmission and front differential should share their fluid supply.

Again, if I were you, I would wait for more responses on the matter before proceeding to the task.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am no expert (so don't hold me accountable for what I post), but from what I have gathered over the years I understand that:

MTM models: Shared fluid for transaxle and transfer (GL-5)
ATM models: Separate fluids for transaxle (ATF) and transfer (GL-5)

Also, by definition, "transaxle" is a combination of the transmission and the differential so, the 4WD automatic transmission and front differential should share their fluid supply.

Again, if I were you, I would wait for more responses on the matter before proceeding to the task.
Thanks!
I don't plan on doing this until later this month anyways, I just got done doing a drain and fill on everything on a 95 Geo Tracker 4x4 (requires GL-4 or yellow compatible, $20/quart!), so I don't have the money for the RAV4 at the moment, so I'll definitely wait on this thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts