Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't tried doing it yet.

I imagine giving it gas to build up torque while pressing the brake pedal would not work on this vehicle. There is probably some fail safe against both pedals being pressed at the same time.

How would you drive it up some steep ramps to do some work under the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
+1 Works just like my '15 Limited did, done it already with the '16 Hybrid, same for my wife's '15 Prius.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So both pedals can be pressed at the same time and it will behave just like a non-drive-by-wire gas engine?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No, the rav4 does cut power when both pedals are pressed. I just don't understand why you want to press both pedals at the same time. Push gas till it slowly runs up ramp, then brake.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Push gas till it slowly runs up ramp, then brake.
There isn't enough torque to go up a ramp from just pressing a gas pedal lightly. It has to be pressed a good amount. The RPMs have to go up to say 2000 to get enough torque. At that point the engine is making a decent amount of power and unless your foot is already on brake pedal and pressing it while going up, it is really easy to fly off the end of the ramps.

At least that's how I've been doing it for the last 20 years.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
It works just like Nodnerb said, I keep my left foot on the brake pedal lightly to be ready to keep the car from overshooting the ramps, works fine using just enough throttle, I've run both the front and the back of mine up my ramps(not at the same time!! :surprise), only done the back of the Prius to install a hitch for a bike carrier.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I've never driven my hybrid onto a ramp, but I'd suspect it may be even easier than a gas only since the DC motors have tons of torque, especially at the 1 rpm it will be turning.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I imagine you could do that, but why?

The electric motor is all torque and much better suited to the task.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Maybe put it in S1 gear? You know manual gear mode and sport mode to utilize gas only?
Just put it in drive or reverse and drive up the ramps, it works fine, been there, done it. :laugh

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe put it in S1 gear? You know manual gear mode and sport mode to utilize gas only?
Nope, no matter what you do it is always the electric motors which drive the wheels. It's just a question of whether the electricity comes from the battery or is generated from the engine, or both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why not simply jack one wheel up at a time, and put the ramp under the wheel. Much safer, and I have been doing it that way for years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nope, no matter what you do it is always the electric motors which drive the wheels. It's just a question of whether the electricity comes from the battery or is generated from the engine, or both.
This is not correct. If you check the manuals, the gas engine drives the front wheels and the electric motor drives the rear wheels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is not correct. If you check the manuals, the gas engine drives the front wheels and the electric motor drives the rear wheels.
It is correct. Despite what it says in the manual it is MG2 (Motor Generator 2) that drives the front wheels directly. MG2 is powered by electricity which it gets from either the battery (via an inverter and other control elctronics) or from electricity generated by MG1. It is possible for the ICE to assist MG2 in driving the front wheels, but no matter what the front wheels are always directly connected to MG2. If MG2 is not turning then nor are the front wheels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts