Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm going to try to test drive as many models as possible before deciding on what fits me best. Can anyone summarize the differences between 2WD and 4WD? And between the Basic and Sport-tuned suspension?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Subliminal said:
Hello all. I'm going to try to test drive as many models as possible before deciding on what fits me best. Can anyone summarize the differences between 2WD and 4WD? And between the Basic and Sport-tuned suspension?
Tne trucklet is FWD most of the time, and the computer sends up to 45% of the power to the rear axle when starting off, and "as needed". So both versions will drive pretty much the same once up to cruising speed (above 25 mph about). You will notice better traction when accelerating on gravel or wet roads with the 4WD model. The weight difference is rather small. The 4WD also offers other foul weather/ bad road goodies like locking center differential, Hill Descent, etc. All useful IMHO.

The Sport model has stifffer springs and larger wheels - both give sharper steering response, less body roll and a firmer ride, and more risk of wheel damage if you hit a pothole. Oh yeah, you also get an alloy spare wheel with the Sport, as well as fender flares, which are SADLY lacking on the other models.

I haven't driven a Sport, but the V6 Ltd drives dandy IMHO.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The base and the limited models' suspension are pretty stiff already in my opinion. It is in no way a soft ride. The sport suspension is a bit stiffer which you will feel on bumps but also will appreciate on turns and high speed handling. Beside the fender flares, sport suspension, 18"alloys and the alloy spare, the sport also gets the heated mirrors and the black out headlights when compare to the base.

·
Registered
218 Posts
From my week and a half of driving the Sport, the steering is extremely quick and responsive. The ride is a little rougher than I thought it would be. It beckens back to my old S-10 with Ranchos (perhaps leading to all my back problems now!). It certainly is not a Camry type ride but, it's not too rough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sport has larger turning circle.

The Sport, also, has a larger turning circle. Toyota spects. state two feet larger than the Limited, which is a lot. Must be the 18 inch wheel has a larger outside diameter.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Re: Sport has larger turning circle.

wymapper said:
The Sport, also, has a larger turning circle. Toyota spects. state two feet larger than the Limited, which is a lot. Must be the 18 inch wheel has a larger outside diameter.
How does a larger diameter wheel affect the turning radius?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sport (36.8') vs. Base/Limited Turning (34.8')

The turn is usually adjusted, stopped, so that the larger diameter tire or wider tire does not rub the suspension system, the steering mechanism, or the wheel-well. You can use an offset rim to have more turn, but then you may have to cut out the fender and use real fender flares.

Sport (36.8') vs. Base/Limited Turning (34.8'). These are Toyota spects. This was one of the many factors that led me to the Limited vs. the Sport. But, I do like the looks of the fake fender flares. The Sport is listed at 1.5 inches wider, also with the overfender.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I've suspected that I'll like the Base model better than Sport. Plus, I heard the Sport uses an unusual tire size, which may make it a pain for aftermarket tire replacement.

Now it's likely a matter of finding a good deal on a 4WD. Either way, I think it's worth the extra $1000-1500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For the money, go right for the limited, the base and the sport are quite lacking when you compare them side to side.

I don't know how the 2wd can hook up the power unless you're going for the 4 cylinder.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RAV6ROCKET said:
For the money, go right for the limited, the base and the sport are quite lacking when you compare them side to side.

I don't know how the 2wd can hook up the power unless you're going for the 4 cylinder.
So you're saying the 4WD gives you more "umph" than the 2WD? I'd like to hear more details on this.

What's the main advantage to having the lmited? I don't need fancy climate control.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
no, ther 4wd will not give you more umph. Hes just saying you may have a traction issue with a fwd and the 6.

The limited also has electric driver seat with the VERY nice power lumbar support, steering wheel controls for the standard 6 disk cd player, leather wheels and shifter, aluminum 17" wheels, painted mirrors and door handles, chroms grill, and various other features.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've never driven a base, nor a 2wd, so this is just my opinion.

On the 4 cylinder sport, you could most likely get away with the 2wd that comes with a limited slip. Torque steer must be a real "steer it with your right foot experience though"

On my limited, 6 cylinder, 4wd even in wet condition, you just point it and launch......errrrrr go. You still get a bit of torque steer, but the rear tires hook up seemlessly and you can't really tell that they're coming under control and traction.

I still think that the limited is the way to go. For all the options, the re-sale value 5-10 years down the road, and when you look at even a base or sport costing you $25K, 28-30 isn't that far off to get you dressed out the way you want it. Even as simple as a leather steering wheel is MUCH nicer than plastic. and those rotary climate control knobs SUCK (just my opinion).........they look fine in a dodge pickup truck like the one I own, but not in the daily driver. The sport also has the black on black interior door panels. way too dark. Mix it up with the silver and gray interior.

AND THE SUNROOF!!!!!!!!!!! HAD TO GET THE SUNROOF!!!!!!!!!

All smiles here......life is short, enjoy your drive.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Well the wheel/tire diameter is the same but the 55 ration makes for a wider tire. I found the turning circle to be very nimble and nice for traffic and parking though.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JIMD4 said:
The sport is lacking in what: one power seat and auto climate control are the only real differences.
Advantages of the Limited over the Sport:

- hard shell spare tire cover
- 17" wheels (which I prefer over the 18")
- available leather OR thrid row seating

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Buzz said:
JIMD4 said:
The sport is lacking in what: one power seat and auto climate control are the only real differences.

- dual zone climate with air purification
- power driver-side seat with lumbar controls
- audio controls on steering wheel
- more?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
ppuder said:
Buzz said:
JIMD4 said:

- dual zone climate with air purification
- power driver-side seat with lumbar controls
- audio controls on steering wheel
- more?
Headlamp auto-off feature.
Chrome Grill.
Six disc changer.
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob.
Interior footwell lighting.
Immobilizer and prewire.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm shopping for a RAV4 and last Friday test drove a Ltd and a Sport, both V6 - both 4X4. I'll buy the Sport for one reason - the drivers seat. Yeah, it's NOT power but, in 8 seconds I had it perfectly adjusted to my ruptured disc back. No amount of fiddling could get the power seat on the Ltd to feel near as good. Also, dual zone AC, c'mon ya'll - it's a small SUV not a tour bus. We have a 2005 Siena XLS Limited with three zone AC and that's fine but I can be just as happy with one control since I'm the sole occupant most of the time. Side note, my 2005.5 VW Jetta has dual zone, I'm tired of turning two knobs instead of one. - Anybody want a good used Jetta? Well, I hope to get a Sport, V6 - 2 wheel drive or 4 if that's all I can find, Pacific Blue with Airbags, JBL, hitch and window tint.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
JuneBug said:
I'm shopping for a RAV4 and last Friday test drove a Ltd and a Sport, both V6 - both 4X4. I'll buy the Sport for one reason - the drivers seat. Yeah, it's NOT power but, in 8 seconds I had it perfectly adjusted to my ruptured disc back. No amount of fiddling could get the power seat on the Ltd to feel near as good. Also, dual zone AC, c'mon ya'll - it's a small SUV not a tour bus. We have a 2005 Siena XLS Limited with three zone AC and that's fine but I can be just as happy with one control since I'm the sole occupant most of the time. Side note, my 2005.5 VW Jetta has dual zone, I'm tired of turning two knobs instead of one. - Anybody want a good used Jetta? Well, I hope to get a Sport, V6 - 2 wheel drive or 4 if that's all I can find, Pacific Blue with Airbags, JBL, hitch and window tint.
I feel the same way, the sport seats has better support than the limited. Also, you can only get the fender flares, 18 inch wheels and the sport suspension in the sport edition. Those black out headlight are very nice too. If I wanted 3rd row seats or leather seats, maybe I would have opt for the limited. The steering wheel audio control, leather steer wheel cover and the dual climate control I can do without. Overall, I think the sport package is the best option.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts