Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my hybrid for 6 months and just started using Eco Mode and find as stated in the manual that it delivers the torque very smoothly, giving a quieter and smoother electric to petrol transition and overall drive. Which i really like!.
Apart from heating and cooling does anyone know any problems that can occur if i use this all the time.
Very pleased with my new red/nutmeg rocket!.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Likewise I have been using ECO mode for a few weeks and the more precise accelerator pedal control is welcome. The only possible down side is that radar cruise control can be slow to recover speed after an enforced slow down but I'm not sure if that is actually worse in ECO mode. Its not been cold over here this winter so reduced heating and air con performance doesn't matter and there is still full acceleration available when its called for.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The only possible down side is that radar cruise control can be slow to recover speed after an enforced slow down but I'm not sure if that is actually worse in ECO mode.
Correct. I ams using ECO basically from day 1 (almost a year and 12K miles now). Acceleration is capped and smoother, so yes, it will speed up less quick compared to normal mode. When really needed you can always step on it... ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
As i wrote in a similar thread, Eco mode dampens my wife’s lead foot, which has lead to improved fuel economy. Fuely says we’re getting a little over 42 mpg.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My RAV4 has been in ECO mode almost exclusively, except for very brief periods just to try out the other modes. Currently averaging between 39 and 42MPG depending on the type of driving I'm doing. Interstate driving at 75+MPH with hills takes me down to the 37MPG range. Stop and go city driving yields the highest MPG.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for commenting, was overly concerned r/e motor or parts wearing.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
405 Posts
What about ECO mode would make parts wear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe he means the CVT 🤷‍♂️

OP browse the forum with the advanced search feature, you'll find a few nuggets.

This thread helped me and a few others to baby the car and get the most out of it:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not a mechanic but had a mechanic friend who would go on about cars runs best at their 'Note', he meant all motors have their particular rev. One saying goes that motors like to run so more concerned about keeping valves and other internal parts clean. I drove a 2017 Rav4 Petrol Only in Eco and it felt very sluggish compared to normal mode, like dragging an anchor. I don't get that effect from this car but was just thinking long term if to drive full time eco is all ok as i plan to keep this car a long time. Any mechanics out there?.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eco mode for 95% of 24,000 miles.
We pretty much leave it there all the time.
Pretty much the same here. With 4 Toyota hybrids in our household. They all stay in Eco mode >99% of the time. Been doing it that way from day one with all of them.
The very rare occasion to move from Eco to say Sport mode (or “Power” in our Prii) would be finding ourselves in rapidly changing, multilane traffic in unfamiliar cities where we need to make rapid lane adjustments when an unexpected left hand exit or something similar comes up. (Usually) though Waze gives enough advance notice to negate that need.

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2013 Prius 4 with Solar Pkg
2012 Prius 4
2012 Prius v 5 with Panorama and ATP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts