Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a quick video while driving home the other night. I quickly realized its not easy to make a cool video and have a new found respect for all the people who post car reviews on youtube. Anyway..... I am new to hybrids and far from an expert but just wanted to show a POV for anyone who has not been in the Hybrid Rav4.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the helpful video-. I'm considering trading our 2013 Rav XLE for a hybrid as we'll appreciate both the increase in performance and MPG. Toyota literature claims suspension improvements and extra insulation in 2016 Ravs which are said to result in a quieter, smoother ride. I hope that's true- I'll test drive one in a month or two. Thanks again for the tutorial...

·
Registered
379 Posts
TurboTom - Thanks for the video. I just went to the Houston Auto Show this evening. I've been off the forum for a while and hadn't caught that Toyota was offering a hybrid version of the Rav4. You're only on the second tank so you've got a while to get a handle on fuel economy but what you reported in the video about the discrepancy between what the computer says you're getting fuel economy wise and what you calculated manually is pretty much what I've experienced with my 2013 Rav4. My calculations have always averaged between 1 to 2 mpg less than what the computer says I'm getting. Your mileage should improve as you add on the miles.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was the second viewer of this video when it was first posted, it was one of the better videos that is currently out on YouTube with the RAV4 hybrid. Thanks, I enjoyed it, however it makes it just that much more painful waiting for my RAV to arrive!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
OMG, I really don't think we should be thanking someone for shooting a video WHILE THEY WERE DRIVING.

You should be paying attention to the road, other vehicles, pedestrians, etc. and not be distracted by trying to shoot a video at the same time you're driving.

That's how people get into accidents, or even killed.

If you want to record a video like that, please Please PLEASE have a passenger handle the camera.

That was pretty much the definition of Distracted Driving.

:mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't believe anyone is thanking "Turbotom" for recording while driving- we are thanking him for providing Rav4 hybrid information on a site dedicated to proving that kind of information. I believe this is an adult site for licensed drivers where most oppose hyper-milling, texting or talking on a hand-held phone while driving, speeding or any other driving infraction...

·
Registered
379 Posts
DVS - I've watched a LOT of car evaluation videos on YouTube and other forums. I think you're right in that it did look a lot like the OP was handling the video recorder (cell phone?) while driving the car and that's probably not the best way to do it. Many of the other videos I've seen used GoPro cameras mounted in strategic spots around the car with the person making the video looking more at the camera in use while talking than at where they were going down the road. The OP wasn't driving in heavy traffic. The few shots outside the windshield that were picked up, slowing for traffic lights and such, didn't show anything out of the ordinary and I'd say they were using due caution.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The few shots outside the windshield that were picked up, slowing for traffic lights and such, didn't show anything out of the ordinary and I'd say they were using due caution.
I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of police officers out there would beg to differ. Out of the ordinary things can happen in a split second.

This driver was not only paying attention to what he was shooting, but also to narrating what was going on and thinking about what to discuss next.

I have a hard time believing much of their focus was on actually driving, and they certainly didn't have both hands on the wheel, nor was it any kind of "hands-free" use of the device.

One would certainly have to agree that the driver could have been paying more attention to the road and the actual act of driving if they weren't also shooting and narrating a video. Therefore safety was at least somewhat compromised, which is the whole point of distracted driving laws.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My point sir (or Mam as the case may be), and I know it doesn't excuse the situation completely, is that I didn't see any significant difference between this video and most of the other such videos that are out there doing road assessments of automobiles. You can nick pick what the police would or would not do and maintain the politically correct mantra about having both hands on the wheel, using hands free devices etc, etc, but the fact of the matter is, every time we tune a radio, adjust the ventilation systems, answer the telephone, even a "hands free" version, our attention is distracted. The only way you're going to eliminate that is to totally remove all such devices from the car and, by the way, only allow folks to drive solo because a second, third, fourth, etc., occupant in the vehicle can also be significant distractions in and of themselves and thus, a hindrance to safety as you would describe it. I don't totally disagree with the points you're trying to make but I do think you're picking nits to the nth degree. Get over it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was waiting for someone to put down my video in some way :) I do not disagree with most of what DVS is saying. I never text while driving and always try my best to drive safe, my original video was done in a smarter way. My first video I did not post because I put my phone on the passenger seat wedged in-between the seat and headrest, it seemed too easy. The video came out good with the exception of the radio screen, glare and blur made it hard to see kind of making my video useless. My video is far from perfect because I valued watching the road over filming. I am very happy to see some of you liked watching my video and thank all of you for your replies. I will make more if I know a few people will watch them. Maybe I need to buy a Go Pro. Like Intrepid175 said, lets move on. I would much rather use this space to help anyone who has questions about the new Rav4.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My point sir (or Mam as the case may be), and I know it doesn't excuse the situation completely, is that I didn't see any significant difference between this video and most of the other such videos that are out there doing road assessments of automobiles.
It's "sir," BTW.

Aaaaaah, now I see your point: Because other people do it, that makes it acceptable.

Your point is 100% crystal clear, I just disagree with it. I find that the action of shooting a video (especially a hand-held video!) while at the same time driving unnecessarily puts safety at risk.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and, as was suggested, move on.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I was waiting for someone to put down my video in some way :)
As I'm sure you know, I was not putting down the content of your video, only the way in which it was shot.

If you want to make better videos while you're driving, please don't.

But if you insist on doing that, please do your fellow travelers a favor and get a passenger to handle the camera and let them be the one who pays attention to what is on the viewscreen during the recording.

You'll still be distracted with doing the narration, but at least the visual distraction will be gone, and that's a win for everyone.

As a person whose girlfriend's best friend IS DEAD because of a distracted driver, I thank you very much for giving that some consideration. Please excuse me if I'm a little touchy on this subject. It really grinds my gears when I see something like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts