Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mod i've wanted to do for a while and it's almost complete.
I mounted a set of Narva Maxim 150 driving lights (100W) to the front of my RAV today.
They are bolted to a Unibar light bar (as seen on most Australian Police cars).
Bought the lights for AU$110 and the Unibar for AU$35 (eBay).
Not sure if Narva lights are sold in America but they're a very popular brand here in Australia.
Can't comment on the performance of the lights just yet as they still have to be wired but they do make the front of the RAV look beefier if I may say so myself!

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
That light bar looks awesome... :D

I want one... :)

How is it mounted??? can you provide more details?? also which exact model is it if I wanted to look for one as well...? or can you pick one up and ship to me if I sent you money through PayPal or something?

Let me know...

Thanks,

DJ Sueno

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Moza, they look great. May I make a suggestion?

When we were running rallies in the sugar canes of Puerto Rico, or even in heavy rain these lights are heaven sent. To maxamize their use and to keep them legal do this.

Install a HD three position switch. Some come with threee colors depending on the position of the switch. It can be for example green, amber or red.

Why? Well in position one, you can have them ON

Position two, you can have them Off.

Position three, you can install the Narva Maxim 150 driving lights with your OEM High Beams.

In Rallies we had this setup so that when we were at speed, we could switch on and off the high beam together using the OEM High / Low beam switch on the steering wheel. This turned the night into day. When not in use, just use the regular on and off switch. Also, check your local laws regarding lights. In PR, they are permited since we have a lot of storms and heavy rain. These lights help a great deal. BTW, keep the covers on. They look cool and just in case that Sunday driver doesn't see them when he/she is backing up. At least they will have a chance of surviving a sudden, lets say "tap" :shock: But in your case, your are high enough for any Sunday driver to see them. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys glad you liked it. The Unibar sits between the bumper and the number plate and is held in place by the number plate screws. It comes pre-drilled for Australian number plates but you can drill extra holes in it if you need to. The Unibar is made out of T5 aluminium.
The Unibar retails for around AU$90 here in Aus. You can find some on www.ebay.com.au for cheaper than that. Just use the search term "unibar". If you guys can't get them off eBay Aus i can purchase them for you and send them upwards if you'd like.
I will post night time pics once the lights are wired. The Narva lights i bought have a claimed distance of 300m.

·
Registered
542 Posts
kinda like what i put on mine.. and the idea did come from the unibar.. thanx ha..

maybe you'll have to put more screws/support for the bar cos the lights will shake if you only use the number plate screws!! i have 2 extra bolts and the beams still shake on the rough stuff.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Mohit said:
The Unibar is made out of T5 aluminium.
The Unibar retails for around AU$90 here in Aus. You can find some on www.ebay.com.au for cheaper than that. Just use the search term "unibar". If you guys can't get them off eBay Aus i can purchase them for you and send them upwards if you'd like.
Can you tell us what model they are, or which exact one you bought? i've seen different ones listed...
Also what's the cost in USD total if we want to buy through you? :wink:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DJ Sueno said:
Can you tell us what model they are, or which exact one you bought? i've seen different ones listed...
Also what's the cost in USD total if we want to buy through you? :wink:
Not sure what the model numbers are but basically there are 2 Unibars you can buy. Only difference is that one of them has a powdercoated number plate mounting surface while the other one has a polished aluminium mounting surface. The one i bought is the powdercoated one. The actual horizontal aluminium tube is the same on both versions. Have a look at the Unibars for sale on eBay Aus...you'll see both the versions i'm talking about. If i were to buy one of these for you in the shops it would roughly cost AU$95 for the Unibar and AU$35 for postage.

peterpogi2005 said:
i posted something on rav4oz before. here's the link: http://rav4oz.compact4wd.com/rav4oz/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2257&whichpage=1
the lamps really shake without the extra bolts! hopefully the unibar has better mountings than a foot or so of angle bar!!
The Unibar should be more stable than your's as the backing plate is as tall as the height of the number plate to give the whole thing some extra support.

·
Registered
446 Posts
What can you do to prevent it being stolen? Can use Loctite or some other strong stuff to make it harder to steal? I tell you, thieve will have an eye for this part, especially if it includes free lights :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
BAZRAV4 said:
What can you do to prevent it being stolen? Can use Loctite or some other strong stuff to make it harder to steal? I tell you, thieve will have an eye for this part, especially if it includes free lights :twisted:
You can maybe use some different type of bolts, like hex bolts, ones you will need alan keys to take off....just a thought...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will replace the normal number plate screws with security screws. Might also spot weld the lights to the Unibar.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not necessarily. TIG welding can be done on aluminium. MIG welding however can give problems with aluminium.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the driving lights wired in today by a mate of a mate. Only cost me AU$50. Everybody else was asking around AU$100 for the installation. The driving lights are wired into the high beams as required by law. Here are some night shots i just took at the local football field. The range is pretty good. The distance from the front of the car to the end of the projected light would be around 200m (660ft). The light would shine further if the trees weren't in the way.

Low beams and fog lights:

Low beams, high beams, fog lights and new driving lights:

·
Registered
62 Posts
peterpogi2005 said:
kinda like what i put on mine.. and the idea did come from the unibar.. thanx ha..
maybe you'll have to put more screws/support for the bar cos the lights will shake if you only use the number plate screws!! i have 2 extra bolts and the beams still shake on the rough stuff.

how hard was the install directly on the bumper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts