Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Stay on the pavement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm a RAV4world n00b but I wanted to get some opinions on driving my 2014 stock RAV XLE on a national seashore.

I'm taking my family to Assateague Island, MD in a couple weeks for camping and fun by the ocean. When I was looking at things to do I saw there is an "Over sand vehicle use" area. I was missing my old Jeep when I got to thinking maybe I could still do it with the RAV.

Again it is a completely stock 2014 XLE with the factory mounted Dunlop Grandtrek ST30's (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Grandtrek+ST30).

As per the regulations I would be running at about 15-20psi.

What does every else think?

·
Registered
210 Posts
AWD or FWD? If AWD, I say go for it. But it really depends on the type of sand. Our RAV did great in moderately loose sand where a lot of typical FWD and RWD would get stuck. However I would not trust it in deeper, loose sugary type sand (Well at least not without my 4WD Jeep or truck present to extract it should it get stuck).

If 2WD, better be able to stay on hard packed sand or just stick to the pavement.

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
AWD or FWD?
VITAL information you failed to disclose!!!!!!!!!!

If it's a front wheel drive the "AUTO LSD" button can sure help. I'm assuming a 2014 XLE front wheel drive has this. It makes the steering heavy and is only good up to 25MPH or so but it does help. I've driven on the beach where I live and not been stuck yet. As far as serious long distance driving on the sand I would want a real 4X4 or full time all wheel drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.