Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.... so the plan has been finalized after finding a way North for months and finding the best spot to experience the Arctic by road. I have a little less than a month. I have seen almost all of mainland USA. I won't lie but I have missed some places that I will see sometime when I have less time. Right now I have close to 24 days and I want to use them as best as possible. Also I am not the guy who will sit on a bench and enjoy a scenery for 10 minutes. Once I have seen it, I have seen it... I move on. There is a lot to see on this planet.
Next year I might plan for the Southern most tip of South America (Tierra Del Fuego)..

... but for now this is happening !

Anybody who has experienced the trip up to DeadHorse.. please chime in and let me know what they thought of it. I know there is an oil company land up there and they let people touch the Arctic Ocean I HOPE as I have read.
I have budgeted for repairs to headlights/front end and windshield or anything that gets worn will be replaced on my vehicle with a new stock part.

I plan to get my RAV4 painted next year anyway from the best body shop in town so not so worried about the paint right now.

201k miles. I think it ready. All fluids changed !
I have spent the last year changing any questionable part with brand new OEM parts for all such trips.
I will get oil changed in Fairbanks, Alaska once because the round trip will end up close to 11,000 miles.

Reactions: sparky52

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow !! What an adventure !! Hope you have a great ( and breakdown free) time and post some pictures for us.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I wish you the very best on your trip and hope your RAV4 gets you there safely and with no mechanical problems. It is something that I would have loved to do when I was younger. The farthest north that I have been was to Northern Quebec on fishing trips. Sounds like a great adventure that you will be having.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Have a fantastic trip! :smile

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys !

Will be taking a huge cooler with lots of already cooked food.
A microwave. (already got an electric converter).
Lots of gas on roof.
Air rescue membership.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Will be taking a huge cooler with lots of already cooked food. A microwave. (already got an electric converter).
What microwave did you get? I'd like something similar but I don't know of any that work off 100W, max.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What microwave did you get? I'd like something similar but I don't know of any that work off 100W, max.
My microwave is small and it is in the attic for ages. I can check the exact watts on it.

The converter I got is a very big and expensive one. A medium size microwave can run on it.
It even came with cables so I will probably be hooking it up directly to the batter while the car is running instead of blowing the cigarette lighter connection.

I will probably be doing some testing this weekend on all my equipment.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Sounds like my kind of trip! Have Fun!

According to the blm.gov/faq the Dalton Highway stops 8 miles from the water.
This company offers tours from Deadhorse, $69 per person and you must book the tour more than 24 hours in advance so the can run a background check on everyone in the group.

A good CB, would be useful on this trip.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
My microwave is small and it is in the attic for ages. I can check the exact watts on it.
No need to check. You got me started. I looked at some Honda generators. I can hardly believe how quiet and small the EU1000 and 2000 are. They can even charge the 12V auto battery.

·
Registered
138 Posts

This company offers tours from Deadhorse, $69 per person and you must book the tour more than 24 hours in advance so the can run a background check on everyone in the group.

Enjoy!
Roundabout, thanks for the info. Its got me interested, I just asked my Wife if she would like to visit the Artic ocean etc. as Iam retiting next week. We will have plenty of time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
.... so the plan has been finalized after finding a way North for months and finding the best spot to experience the Arctic by road. I have a little less than a month. I have seen almost all of mainland USA. I won't lie but I have missed some places that I will see sometime when I have less time. Right now I have close to 24 days and I want to use them as best as possible. Also I am not the guy who will sit on a bench and enjoy a scenery for 10 minutes. Once I have seen it, I have seen it... I move on. There is a lot to see on this planet.
Next year I might plan for the Southern most tip of South America (Tierra Del Fuego)..

... but for now this is happening !

Anybody who has experienced the trip up to DeadHorse.. please chime in and let me know what they thought of it. I know there is an oil company land up there and they let people touch the Arctic Ocean I HOPE as I have read.
I have budgeted for repairs to headlights/front end and windshield or anything that gets worn will be replaced on my vehicle with a new stock part.

I plan to get my RAV4 painted next year anyway from the best body shop in town so not so worried about the paint right now.

201k miles. I think it ready. All fluids changed !
I have spent the last year changing any questionable part with brand new OEM parts for all such trips.
I will get oil changed in Fairbanks, Alaska once because the round trip will end up close to 11,000 miles.
Rav4evr, this surely sounds like a very good trip, now Iam interested in something like this. Thanks for posting. And Good luck on a good trip. And yes bring a couple of cameras.

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Super Moderator
799 Posts
For inspiration / places-to-visit suggestions along your planned route check this series:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Enjoy!
This is GREAT INFO !!!
Good Golly.. I wouldn't have known this. I guess I call them when I get to Fairbanks or when I enter Alaska.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm probably way too late for this thread, but take the Cassiar Highway through British Columbia on your way north. Wild and beautiful country. I drove to Prudoe Bay back in 1997 when my RAV was new. Wonderful trip.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm probably way too late for this thread, but take the Cassiar Highway through British Columbia on your way north. Wild and beautiful country. I drove to Prudoe Bay back in 1997 when my RAV was new. Wonderful trip.
May be too late for RAV4EVR to use on his trip, but people will be reading this tread for years and dreaming about a trip like this one. I would like to hear about your trip, please post more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts