Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I just found this forum. Its nice to know there is a resource out there for the do-it-your-selfer dedicated to just what I need :smile

This might seem like a strange question... but here it goes. I had toyota change my rear axle seals as they were leaking. They told me that my drifeshaft was also bad. The repair cast was going to be $1500 extra. :surprise

I just ordered an after market shaft for just under $600. If my current shaft goes before I get the new one, can I remove it and use my rav as a FWD or will this cause some damage somehow to the gearbox or rear differential?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can't specifically say about the RAV.

However, my 2001 4X4 FORD truck had a vibration issue and we drove, in 4 wheel drive mode, with the rear driveshaft disconnected for a few days. This was part of the diagnostic procedure and no harm was done to the drive train mechanicals. Remember, it does not have all of the electronic stuff the newer RAV's do.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I remember another member doing the same thing. If removing it doesn't cause a oil leak at the transaxle it's not a problem. I would recommend unplugging the 4WD ECU. It's located behind the glove box. If you have two modules the other will be the TPMS ECU. Disconnecting it will turn on the TP light.

Reactions: 2009RAV

·
Registered
22 Posts
I drove my 2006 4 cyl Rav for weeks that way. No need to unplug anything and you will not leak any fluids. The drive shaft has flanges at each end which bolt to matching flanges at the transfer case and differential. No seals are involved.
No codes or lights came up.
Good for you for ordering the driveshaft yourself. It's a nice DIY job. And now the u-joints will be serviceable unlike the original.
BTW, did you have any symptoms such as shudder or vibration ?
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, no symptoms at all. The only way I knew there was a problem with the shaft was because the tech had it apart and moved it with his hand.
I ordered the shaft from here. From all the places I seen it was the cheapest. Looks like its on sale. I hope I dont get "the shaft". hehehe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally received the driveshaft and got it installed on the weekend. One of the bolts in the center was very hard to remove but with a lot of penetrating oil, a lot of patience, and a little luck, the stress was over. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove for 2 months with no drive shaft. Even pulled a trailer with a four wheeler, coolers and big generator. 2007 RAV4 V6

1 - 9 of 9 Posts