Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like the title says Dropped pcv grommet into valve cover
Only about 1/2 of it fell in. I had no choice but to leave it & Install new grommet & pcv valve. How bad is this?

Cleaned motor as well

Before

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first time i was changing my PCV grommet, it was very hard and deteriorated and 1/2 of it broke off and fell as well. Gladly i got it out by fishing it out with my finger for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wouldn't want pieces of that in my engine. Small pieces can get caught in the oil pump, causing it to lock. A piece could get into an oil return passage, restricting oil flow back to the sump.

Replacing a valve cover gasket isn't difficult. It is probably seeping a little anyway, since you had to clean the engine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just replaced the valve cover gasket on my ’99 RAV yesterday. It is not as simple as it looks. Lots of stuff in the way, but all doable.
Remember to have sealant, along with the new valve cover gasket and grommets.

On my ’99 (CA version), the valve cover has an interior splash tray inside the top – so the rubber grommet will not fall directly onto the valve train/camshafts. But depending on size, it could eventually work its way into the engine.

I’d definitely pull the cover and remove the leftover grommet. Clean you throttle body while you have everything dismantled.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am planning to change my PCV as well, good thing I read about this. I wouldn't run the engine, if that happens. It's June now, have you gotten it out yet? Where did it landed?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the grommet that pcv valve sits in. Luckily there's a shelf in valve cover, probably to prevent a problem from happening. A pair of long bent needle noise pliers was able to get the pieces out.

Best, Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts