Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive heard from Rav4 owners and thru the grapevine, that Toyota is changing from 4 Wheel drive to All wheel drive in its New Rav 4 vehicles. Is this true ? I dont know the difference between 4 wheel drive verses All wheel drive. ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ive heard from Rav4 owners and thru the grapevine, that Toyota is changing from 4 Wheel drive to All wheel drive in its New Rav 4 vehicles. Is this true ? I dont know the difference between 4 wheel drive verses All wheel drive. ? :confused:
The system in the 4.4s is almost identical to the system in the 4.3s, with the additional awareness of "Sport" mode, which was new in the 4.4s.

HOWEVER, in the 4.3s and earlier, the badge on the vehicle says "4WD" but for some reason in the 4.4s Toyota changed the badge to say "AWD" even though the systems are the same.

One theory is that it's part of the "mommification" of the RAV4 as it moved to the 4.4 series. "4WD" may be perceived as "manly" whereas "AWD" may be perceived as "All Weather Drive" ("safer").

Whatever the reason, the badge on the vehicle changed from "4WD" to "AWD" but the systems are effectively identical between the 4.3s and 4.4s.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2006 Rav4 says 4W I assume its in 2 wheel drive till I push the 4 wheel drive button then its in 4 wheel drive. My wifes friend is buying a new Rav4 and she saays the are AW meaning all whee drive all the time I quess ?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
My 2006 Rav4 says 4W I assume its in 2 wheel drive till I push the 4 wheel drive button then its in 4 wheel drive. My wifes friend is buying a new Rav4 and she saays the are AW meaning all whee drive all the time I quess ?
Your RAV4 is 4-wheel driven when it needs to be, otherwise it is front wheel drive. It might be better to consider it all-wheel drive because the traction control can involve, for example, three wheels when needed. The effect is most clear to me during aggressive turns under power. Pressing the 4WD button lock doesn't lock at over 25mph. Instead, the traction system will do what it needs to do, possibly even 4WD temporarily.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
It is front wheel drive until assist from the rear wheel drive is needed. In short it is part time all wheel drive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PICO, good explanation, thanks. But why when button is pushed it becomes 4 wheel , not pushed 2 wheel but AWD isnt it all the time.?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
PICO, good explanation, thanks. But why when button is pushed it becomes 4 wheel , not pushed 2 wheel but AWD isnt it all the time.?
It's really very simple: the RAV4 is in front-wheel drive (2WD) mode all the time except when starting from a stop, accelerating, going uphill, cornering and any other time (e.g. slippery conditions) the computers detect that sending some portion of the power to rear wheels would help with the stability and control of the vehicle.

You can force power to the rear wheels (55% front / 45% rear) with the Lock button (up to 25 MPH) when you feel you know better than the computers. Typically this is if you're stuck and trying to get unstuck, or if you can tell the road conditions ahead would benefit by it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
that 4wd lock button is useless...from a dead stop it's in 4wd anyway so no need for the button, if it detects slippage it goes into 4wd...that button is just plain useless...i never touch it...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
that 4wd lock button is useless...from a dead stop it's in 4wd anyway so no need for the button, if it detects slippage it goes into 4wd...that button is just plain useless...i never touch it...
I've only used mine maybe once or twice, just before going into deep snow.

Otherwise the automatic system works brilliantly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts