Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test-drove a 4.3 in NJ today.

Exterior: Can also be used as a cure for insomnia. enuf said.

Interior: I recall a post earlier that said the material was so unbelievably cheap that it must be due to it being a prototype. Well sorry to say that's the production material. Very cheap plastic around the glove box and dash. Average elsewhere. Detracts from whatever was in there that I could have complimented. I wanted to like the silver accents but it didn't happen. If you saw the moving RAV4 logo on the orange display online, it was faked, the real car has no such graphical display capabilities. Doors were solid and heavy.

Much quieter than my '96. Ride was fine. Seats were comfortable. Acceleration was adequate.

While it has LED stoplights, the turn signal is still a light bulb. booo!
I don't like the zig-zag shifter. Interesting (to me at least) that the oil cap said "0W20/5W20". There was a question earlier as to whether the 4WD-Lock disengaged when you pressed the brake - it does not (good).

Colors: I saw Silver, Savannah (beige), Pacific Blue, and Nautical Blue. They had a green but they couldn't find it!!! so annoying!

Silver is very light, too light for my liking, nearly white.

Beige is also very light, not gold, too light for me.

Nautical Blue is very dark, looks black unless the sun hits it the right way, then it looks nice. At first my wife saw the dark blue and immediately dismissed is as "it's black, too dark, no way." Then after our test drive, the person who test drove the dark blue drove by, and she loved the dark blue color. I think it's too dark; I don't like a color that only looks good when the sun hits it a certain way. The Sienna also comes in this same Nautical Blue.

Pacific blue: kinda bland looking. yes it's metalic and yes it's blue, but there's just not enough blue it in. not that it's too light, it's just hard to explain the unexcitement of this color. no comparison to the "Speedway Blue" of the Tacoma that was in the showroom. It's more like the Highlander's Bluestone blue.

Really wanted to see my top 2 choices which were the red and green. The sales guy pointed to the green 2005 RAV and he said it was a little darker than that. Then he said it's almost the same as the Highlander's Oasis green, which we saw and liked.
He also said the Barcelona Red is almost the same as the Highlander's Salsa red, which we saw and liked.

No deal on prices, MSRP, take it and like it or get out (my words not theirs). The guy who drove the Nautical Blue Base model bought it on the spot. The missing Green and the Beige (Base models) were not for sale, they were going to be rentals. The others were all Limiteds except the silver was a Sport.

Do I still like the car? Yes, but not nearly as much as I expected to like it based on what I read. Quite a let-down to see it in person. Will I still buy one? Probably; it's still better than the competition, but I had so much higher hopes for it. We just had to bring a bunch of stuff somewhere and it just doesn't fit in my '96, had to throw a bunch into the back seat. I'm tired of the old one's small size, and no anti-lock brakes on mine. And I'm tired of the underpowered engine in the '96. I don't like the styling of the CRV. I don't like that the Ford/Mazda has no stability control (of course this has no side airbags so maybe that's a draw). Subaru is too expensive. Equinox is also not stylish or reliable. So we'll see how it goes... We'll look at other dealers on Saturday or Monday.

P

·
0 Posts
Yep, UK launch date is mid January, however I understand the first cars will be on a 06 plate (March 2006), bar a few early demo cars. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I drove a Green AWD Limited on 12/31/05. I was impressed with the pickup the 4 Cylinder had. I didn't drive on any interstates, so I didn't get the full effect, but I didn't notice a lot of noise inside.

The approx. price was $25,500 UDS. The showrooms around here (Albany NY area) are selling them fast so it isn't easy to test drive one.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good (pickup, quiet engine, responsiveness, handling, size -however I'm driving a Plymouth Grand Voyager so that must have an effect on my perceptions). I don't want to spend the $'s for a Limited, so I'll go for the Base AWD, with the side air bags. I'm hoping there will be some room for price negotiation in mid-February, after they have been around for a while, and the effect the 6 cylinders models (if they are around here by then) will have on improving the pricing the Buyer can get on the 4 cylinder models. We looked at a Honda Element afterwards, (the other car I have been considering) and it looked like a poor stepsister although it is a better vehicle for carting things in.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jabba2000 said:
Really wanted to see my top 2 choices which were the red and green. The sales guy pointed to the green 2005 RAV and he said it was a little darker than that. Then he said it's almost the same as the Highlander's Oasis green, which we saw and liked.
He also said the Barcelona Red is almost the same as the Highlander's Salsa red, which we saw and liked.
Just some corrections about this color info. The green is exactly the same as the 2005 RAV, it is not like the Highlander's, it is lighter, pale and greyish. As for the red, if you look at some online color charts you'd think it was darker than the Highlander's Salsa Red but in fact it is lighter. Congrats to the prior poster who got the red and posted a pic here and more pics in another thread. Looks nice. I also saw a discussion about the Barcelona Red on http://priuschat.com (the Prius also has this red) - they had a side-by-side pic of Salsa Red ("kinda maroon") and Barcelona Red ("candy-apple red"), also someone mentioned the Barcelona has flecks of gold in it. sounds nice. A dealer by me is expecting one in "soon."

·
Registered
654 Posts
[quote\]The green is exactly the same as the 2005 RAV, it is not like the Highlander's, it is lighter, pale and greyish."[/quote]

I test drove the light green metallic and it is how jabba described it. It was parked next to a green Highlander. In the shade, it almost looks silver/gray metallic. There wasn't a 2005 green so I can't say. I did see the salsa red and it looked on the maroon side, not the "candy apple" red like flyingn's pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts