Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 1500 + mile trip in my RAV! Started out in poring rain here in Phoenix, then actually got hit with an honest to goodness blizzard going through the mountains into San Diego. I was one car behind a multi-car mini-pileup, all three of the cars involved just slid off the road it was so icy. I had no problems though; brand new Michelin LTX M/S were well worth the cost. Incredible tires, but the steering feel was so much lighter it took some getting used to. I have to say that I was impressed with a Prius in the next lane over, was keeping up despite the weather and the climb. Passed a little Mexican market Chevy hatchback whose occupants where clearly terrified, had their hazard lights on the entire way. Saw lots of cars spinning their tires, or having their back ends break loose. The rest of the trip was cake though, drove up the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Barbara, then back to Laughlin, NV, and onto Flagstaff. My RAV performed wonderfully, only problem was going up some of the long hills. If I had to slow down I could forget getting back up to speed. Also the seats still are horrible after any time in them. Other than the seats the trip was a blast! Will post photos once I get them downloaded. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live next to a ski resort one hill over from the tallest mountain in Vermont. We get a LOT of snow, sleet and ice every year. So far, my little RAV with cheap snow tires has easily handled everything Mother Nature had to throw at us. The Outback we had before felt more stable, but that long nose used to catch on rocks and ruts which is a problem the RAV doesn't have.

Nice to hear they handle as well out west! Pete

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have added some photos to my online album

Please check out my album for the photos. Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
hey man that must have been rly kool. i dont know y but for some reasone i love driving in blizard, fog or stuff like that...:/ anyway thank god for fog lights....I only wish I was there. great pictures btw

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see road so I assume it was black ice causing accidents?
That's no fun with all those other people around.

I enjoyed going out on fresh snow on a few occasions; doing donuts and getting the stability alarm to go off. It prevents having REAL fun but it's nice to know it's there for everything else.

I also tried straight-line hard accelerations and could feel the power directed to the rear which would get the back end getting sideways (a little). That would then get the power redirected back up front or 50/50 and she would straighten right up.

I play it safe the rest of the time I'm on the road with other motorists. And hopefully my vehicle familiarity exercises will have me better prepared if I encounter a real world pucker factor of 5 or above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts