Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think if running out caused irreparable harm, we would have lots of reports on blogs about this by now.

Not saying it is a good practice.
Just not a catastrophe if it happens occasionally.

Think about the lawsuits if after one run out of gas your car was shot. People are suing now because the car has too large of a reserve in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just noticed that there seems to be a relation between DTE and Total Average (Latest MPG). My car was running at "P" while I was waiting for someone, so I played around and hit the "Clear" in MPG History menu. It did clear all the mpg history info but shortly after the "Latest MPG" came on with a number - therefore, i figured that the number was actually calculated out of the DTE and probably the amount of gas it sees (which should be total gallon - 2 gallons). In my case, my fuel needle was at a bit below 3/4, and I reversed the calculation by DTE divided by "Latest MPG" to get about 10 gals, and adding 2 gals to make it about 12 gal in my system. If this is correct, then we should be able to get a good estimate on the fuel amount in our system.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have gas model (2020TRD). Yesterday I hit 397 miles for the tank (15 miles after DTE 0) and drove to Costco gas station to add 13.1 Gallen. So I will assume there are at least 2 Gallen at DTE.

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK. I'm wrong. Run it out of gas as often as you want. Won't hurt a thing.
There's an old adage, "You can't help someone who doesn't want help."
Truth.

I'll step in to bolster your claim.

BAD idea. For a hybrid specifically.

And right from Toyota's help line:
Though a hybrid vehicle can operate in electric-only mode when gasoline is in the tank, it is not designed to run without gasoline. Doing so could cause severe damage to the hybrid system, so drivers should be sure to keep gas in the tank at all times.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Truth.

I'll step in to bolster your claim.

BAD idea. For a hybrid specifically.

And right from Toyota's help line:
Though a hybrid vehicle can operate in electric-only mode when gasoline is in the tank, it is not designed to run without gasoline. Doing so could cause severe damage to the hybrid system, so drivers should be sure to keep gas in the tank at all times.
And you believe this from the same company who said the Rav4 hybrid could go 600 miles per tank!?!?!?

And those so called "articles", if you can call them that are so filled with inaccuracies I don't know where to start.

I did like the parts that mentioned Prius and Lexus Hybrid owners driving 100 miles or more past DTE 0. Seem what we see in our 2019-2020's is nothing new.

·
Registered
327 Posts
^^^^ Any debris or dirt that is on the bottom of the tank may be sucked into the fuel pump if you run it dry. There are probably filters, but that means they may get clogged up.

I am not a mechanical engineer, but I think that most pumps like this rely on the item they are pumping (fuel, in this case) to lubricate them. Pumping air could be bad for it.

If any of that debris or dirt makes it up to the fuel injectors, they may get clogged.

I, for one, would never run it dry on purpose. These are also some of the reasons I fill at 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Fuel provides cooling but I believe all modern day automobile fuel pumps have a shutoff when overheating is detected. Furthermore, I believe that the pumps always suck fuel from the bottom of the tank so I don't know how much of a concern sucking debris is. Still, I'm not ever going to intentionally run my tank dry.

·
Registered
2 Posts

RAV4 pump sits submerged in the gas tank, pickup is at the bottom plate of this assembly. There are a filter screen, filters, and evaporators on the fuel route to the injectors.

·
Registered
103 Posts
To be clear, your links do not say the hybrid system will be damaged by running out of gas. They say the system can be damaged if, once you run out of gas, you keep driving on the battery only
That's kind of like saying it's ok to take your foot off the brake at the top of the hill when you haven't reached the bottom of the hill yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I refilled so infrequently that I find myself filling at half a tank left just because it's been so long since I pumped gas I feel the need to pump gas.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts