Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just bought a 2004 Rav4 CV. Something we will do regularly is camp for a few days without driving anywhere. I'd like to install a dual battery system and switch the 12v that runs to the boot to be off the second battery.

Has anyone got some tips (or photos) on location for the second battery or the system they've installed?

Jacob.

·
Super Moderator
11,191 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone installing a second battery in a RAV4 and since it would have to be in a passenger area it would definitely be unsafe.
Most camper trailers like the Castia we towed in AK years ago have a properly vented battery in them. We charged it via the 7-round cable from the RAV4. Had to make sure we unplugged it overnight to avoid it discharging the RAV4's battery. We didn't want to take a chance on a no-start the next morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone installing a second battery in a RAV4 and since it would have to be in a passenger area it would definitely be unsafe.
Most camper trailers like the Castia we towed in AK years ago have a properly vented battery in them. We charged it via the 7-round cable from the RAV4. Had to make sure we unplugged it overnight to avoid it discharging the RAV4's battery. We didn't want to take a chance on a no-start the next morning.
Sounds like it would be best avoiding the second battery and replacing the main battery with a good quality deep cycle battery that’s waterproof. Something like the Optima D35 Yellowtop or a Kings battery. Should be enough to power added accessories whilst still having enough juice for the morning.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Old post, but anyway the proper way to add a second battery is with an isolator, you can't just connect them in parallel. The factory alternator doesn't have enough capacity to keep two batteries charged, and replacing it with a higher capacity one might place too much of a load on the engine with both batteries charging.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You can install dual batteries in any vehicle if you could find a space for the 2nd battery. If the 2nd battery has to be inside the vehicle (not in engine compartment), you can use an AGM or better a LiFePO4 battery. What you need is a DC to DC charger, a switch to turn off automatic charging in case needed and an optional switch for jump start.

For my 2020 gas model, there is a space unused in the right back corner (where the 12V battery should be located for the hybrid model). I installed a LiFePO4 battery as auxiliary battery per DC/DC charger one year ago for all-time hot USB, glove box lights, 24V plugs, additional 12V plugs, power dashcams, tow hitch connectors, etc. I also installed a switch for jump start although never used. This is my best modification so far (the 2nd would be the power folding mirrors).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts