·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUst looked at this site

http://cars.about.com/od/toyota/fr/jf_07camry.htm

Two items caught my interest.

"This year Toyota will introduce the 2007 Toyota Camry"

"LE and XLE add some chrome trim, and with the optional V6 engine, dual exhausts"

Is this the same V6 in the RaV4...if so would it be possible to get the headers or exhaust with some custom tubing to adapt to RAV$??

Since I new to this vehicle, I may be off base..so other question..Is there a dual set..true duals..?

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
There is currently one large muffler under the passenger area behind the front seat.

Luckily, the tailpipe looks to be a bolt-on section right after the muffler. As long as there's room under the RAV to properly split and route off of the muffler, I don't see why you couldn't have two tailpipes.

However, unless you modify the exhaust manifold, add a second muffler and all the extensive exhaust pipes and components, it won't be a "true" dual exhaust.

·
Registered
509 Posts
True duals can be nice, but they're not always the best way to go. To help build torque, smaller motors often rely on backpressure. In a motor like this, it may be that a well optimized single exhaust could outperform a true duals system. Plus it doesn't look like there's room on both sides of the driveshaft for a dual system that is symmetrical with equal length pipes.

I'd almost think that a good mandrel bent single pipe, going into a high flow cat and high flow muffler, with dual tail pipes would be a better setup than true dual exhaust.

Maybe flyingn has more information about this regarding V6 GN's that he's familiar with (although they're pushing a lot of air with those turbos).

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
71 GS is right. A single 3" exhaust flows as much if not more then dual 2.5's. Unless you like the look, dual exhaust is not necessary on the hp levels we are talking here.. BUT dual chrome tips DO look cool:) It what first made us look at the New Sportage 6 actually :)

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I won't do a dual. It's just more weight and make your car slower for the most part. If you do do it (hahaha I said doodoo), make sure to have the H configuration where there is a flow balance port that connects to either side of the exhaust to help balance the flow.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Zeoth said:
I won't do a dual. It's just more weight and make your car slower for the most part. If you do do it (hahaha I said doodoo), make sure to have the H configuration where there is a flow balance port that connects to either side of the exhaust to help balance the flow.
I agree on the weight penalty, which would negate any possible minute increase in power.

However I disagree with the "H-pipe" being needed. You don't need one for a V6. It will end up being a restriction by messing up laminar flow in the pipes. It may help in achieving a desired exhaust tone, however.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
bottom line.. Cannot use the Camry exhaust so you have to get it custom bent. But you still are breathing thru the came cat so back pressure is gona be same. So performance is gonna be same. So you are paying big $$ for a dual exhaust look. Will prolly cost close to $1200 to have a stainless system custom made and installed

N

·
0 Posts
FlyingN writes:
Will prolly cost close to $1200 to have a stainless system custom made and installed

I did a custom Borla exhaust for my Honda Element. Utilized the Borla XS Turbo muffler, kept the cat and all new custom 2.5" pipe from the Cat back. All work was done at the local muffler shop. Parts were brand new and bought on e-bay.

Total cost: Borla muffler=$75
Borla tip: =$35
All new 2.5"pipe =$125

Total= $235

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nat said:
FlyingN writes:
Will prolly cost close to $1200 to have a stainless system custom made and installed

I did a custom Borla exhaust for my Honda Element. Utilized the Borla XS Turbo muffler, kept the cat and all new custom 2.5" pipe from the Cat back. All work was done at the local muffler shop. Parts were brand new and bought on e-bay.

Total cost: Borla muffler=$75
Borla tip: =$35
All new 2.5"pipe =$125

Total= $235
That's really cheap if it's SS piping and mandrel bends. But somehow, I doubt it! :p

Good price for the muffler, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts