Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for snow run on Sat :roll: Man those Dueler A/T Revo's stink :roll: Next Nov will P/U Rovers I guess..They sound like the best :)

My mirrors fog up really bad when entering my indoor garage....Any good anti-fog spray out there???

How simple is it to change wiper blade?? :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
986 Posts
All the people I know that have Revos say they work in great in the snow. I think it's not necessarily the tires, but the fact that the Rav is so lightweight. I have very good snow tires on but I still slide around a lot, it's because the tire size on the Rav is large for the weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Also, depends on the snow condition.

With my winter tires i've experienced great traction in deep soft powder.

Wonderful traction in low slippery slush with the Directional V's.

A bit rough on the heavy / packed deep snow where the tire is a bit wide and not that much weight on the tire so I can bounce of ruts abit.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Oh so you mean the Toyos?

I found them OK in snow, same as any other all-season tire I have used. But I use dedicated snow tires in the winter so I can deal with all-seasons in the summer.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Sorry if i wasn't specific.

I am talking about my Toyo Observe Winters :D

http://www3.sympatico.ca/tor-sale/toyosmall.jpg

I researched studies done on winter tires. Toyo Observes came were want i needed.. Very aggressive and the compound is full tread depth.
I also liked the Bridgestone Dueler DM-Z2 but the Toyos have better design for the slush.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Well I was talking to Postman....but anyway...

There are a few other threads going on about tires.

I have the Cooper Discoverer M+S tires on for the winter, and they work pretty well. The problem I have with the various all-season tires I run during the summer is while the driving traction is ok in the snow, braking traction and cornering is not that great. I had the stock Toyos on for the first winter, and while the driving traction was ok, stopping and cornering was a little scary. So I upgraded to the Coopers solely for winter use, and they have been working out fine. While not a night-and-day difference as with some cars, on the Rav the Cooper snow tires improved braking and cornering somewhat. The traction is great in loose to moderately packed powder and light to moderate slush, but I still slide on heavily packed powder since it's like ice anyway. I can blaze through 8-10 inches of fresh powder but sometimes go sliding around on the plowed roads. Up here the roads tend to have more of a crown, so if you don't stay close to the middle when you are on packed snow you will go sliding off into the ditch. I think the only improvement I can make is to get studded snow tires, but I don't need them.

I'm one of those knuckleheads who goes out for a drive in a snow storm just for fun, so I'll take all the extra traction I can get.

I don't mind the sliding around part, because most of the time it's fun, except going down a steep hill, because only studs will help you then. I fishtail all around in the snow on purpose, and with the 4WD it's nice because you can go into a slide but correct just enough so you don't go into a full spin.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Another thing you might notice is the soft Rubber/silica blend on the winters. Especially when it is real cold - 10 to -30.
Can feel those all seasons slip on the pavement. As for the winters you can feel the knobs grip and flex.

We just have to remember to brake carefully or the guy without winters is going to bounce of the rear bumper :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Wiper blades are very easy. I do it about every 4 or 5 months. Pay the extra few bucks and get the winter ones for the winter...they are rubber covered, so they won't colllect ice chunks. All you need is a flat blade screwdriver to snap out the little lever, then you just slide the old wiper off and slide the new one on, make sure it clicks, and you're all set.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've found that the cheap wiper blades work as well as the expensive ones, as long as you maintain them. Well let me rephrase that. My windshield is pitted so it eats wiper blades every 3 months or so. I tried the expensive ones, and they didn't last any longer than the $3 Anco ones from Wal-Mart. I also use Rain-X which helps them glide over the pitted glass more easily.

Even though I prefer the cheap ones, Toyota wiper blades are some of the best you can get. They are the best of any OEM wiper blade, and better than most aftermarket ones. If you still have the stock Toyota blades on, just get the rubber refills that go in the metal frame.

Don't use the Rain-X wiper fluid, it causes more trouble than it's worth. Regular Rain-X (applied to the windshield) works great, but the Rain-X wiper fluid builds up on the blades after a while and makes them streak.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeff-How do change just the refills???I find it a little confusing :oops: Tried Rain-X found that it gave my glass a Haze :roll: I used the wipes instead of the spray...Better off with spray :lol: Can I get winter blades from dealer??Had a big problem on Sat with ice :roll: Collects on the blades.....What about that anti-fog spray for side mirrors????Any ideas???

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't use my side mirrors that much but when I do there isn't much of problem with fog. However you can try some anti-fog wipes, I've used them on the inside of the windows and it works fine, although I don't know how well it works outside.

When you buy wiper blades, you can either get the whole blade piece that snaps onto the wiper arm (like most people do) or just a replacement rubber piece that slides into the blade frame. Most places just sell the whole blade, but with some wipers you can also buy the rubber refill separately so you don't have to keep replacing the whole blade, just the rubber part.

If you want to take the simple easy route, just get the whole wiper blade and don't bother trying to figure out the refill that fits the blades you already have. Just go to any auto parts store and tell them you need new wiper blades, 19" for pass. side and 22" for drivers side, they will usually install them for you free.

As for the ice, you should get a set of winter wiper blades, which are the same as regular wiper blades, except they have a rubber boot that covers the blade frame so it doesn't get jammed with ice and snow.

As for instructions, they're usually on the back of the package. It's not hard to do, but can be frustrating the first time you do it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
blades

Thanks Jeff.....Yes it might be alot more easy to change the whole thing...I think costco had some winter blades :) Tried the wipes and they stink :lol: Not meant for outside I guess :roll: It only happens when I enter warm garage on a cold day..OH well :) Will p/u RainX in spray instead of wipes :) Happy Ravin :lol:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Wal-Mart sells the Anco wiper blades pretty cheap, and they have the winter ones too I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts