Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's 2006 RAV4 V6 2WD 155k mi has been making a dull loose noise for some time and is getting more prevalent. Occurs when driving straight and going over bumps so I've ruled out the dreaded steering shaft knock (I have that too). This sounds like a loose front suspension component. It's not repetitive, kinda random sequence. I've jacked up vehicle, checked everything up front and in the rear and can't find anything loose. Only slight axial movement in CV axles.

I have searched for days to pin-point it and everything leads to the steering shaft knock/popping. This isn't that. I found T-SB-0308-08 for Steering Rack Noise which the description sounds like what I have. I saw somewhere online where a faulty steering rack would actually have slop and move slightly under load. Mine is tight and doesn't move so I'm questioning if this is the problem.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. My last resort is going to the dealer to diagnose. Does the dealer fix TSB issues for free? Last time I went to dealer for transmission flush, I came home with a transmission pan leak.:mad:

Thanks to all in advance.
Darren

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check your front struts. Are they leaking? I have the same issue and it was due to a blown front strut. It sounded like a rattle when going over bumps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Might be a bad strut top bearing. Look at the sway bar links, they will make an irritating clunk when they are loose.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Struts........

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've gotten that kind of noise over bumps from worn sway bar end links
WAs your sway bar loose as a result of the worn end links? I've yanked and pulled on everything and everything is solid.

I'm thinking the problem is my struts. I've noticed after test driving it more that the shock absorption is pretty much non existence leading me to think the shock in the strut is shot. They are not leaking though. But they are original with 155k miles on them.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts