Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me or has the GPS on my 2019 RAV4 gotten dumber with time? Could swear last year when I bought the vehicle it wasn't too bad but now it is unbelievable. It keeps suggesting routes that take longer than they should, it even suggests routes that need backtracking to reach the destination!!!
Is it my imagination or is anybody out there having the same issue?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it me or has the GPS on my 2019 RAV4 gotten dumber with time? ... It keeps suggesting routes that take longer than they should, it even suggests routes that need backtracking to reach the destination!!! ...
Yeah, I noticed that, especially the backtracking. I tried it out on some of my very routine errands where I already knew where I was and how to get there. The GPS doesn’t want to pick the most efficient route. When I take known shortcuts the GPS keeps insisting that I whip a U-turn or go around an obscure block just to return to the GPS’s chosen route. That’s not a problem where I know where I am. But I wonder how accurate it will be in locales with which I’m not as familiar. Will it always tell me to “take the long way home”?
Hopefully this could be fixed with a software update from Toyota — and GPS updates should be free while the car is still under warranty!
(I have a 2019 XLE Premium, but without the upgraded audio or certain other options.)

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
Yep, my phone, a Galaxy S7 and now an S10e, is the reason I have ZERO interest is buying any car with a Navi. Virtually up to the minute maps and with the Waze option. And GasBuddy. Can't beat it! I don't even use my Garmin anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that, especially the backtracking. I tried it out on some of my very routine errands where I already knew where I was and how to get there. The GPS doesn’t want to pick the most efficient route. When I take known shortcuts the GPS keeps insisting that I whip a U-turn or go around an obscure block just to return to the GPS’s chosen route. That’s not a problem where I know where I am. But I wonder how accurate it will be in locales with which I’m not as familiar. Will it always tell me to “take the long way home”?
Hopefully this could be fixed with a software update from Toyota — and GPS updates should be free while the car is still under warranty!
(I have a 2019 XLE Premium, but without the upgraded audio or certain other options.)
XLE Premium doesn't have a navigation head unit so you must be referring to Scout GPS which is crap from most reports, Carplay and Waze/Google/Apple nav apps work pretty good for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
XLE Premium doesn't have a navigation head unit ...
Thanks. That explains a lot. ... I’ve only had the car less than two months. Bought it used with only about 7400 miles on it! (Previous owner said the car was fine; it just didn’t turn out to fit her needs. 🤷🏻‍♂️) Anyway, with the designation XLE Premium I assumed it would come with more goodies— based on what came in my wife’s 2014 RAV4 Limited. Alas, I should have checked out the car deeper than I did. I still think it’s a great car! It’s my fault I didn’t do my due diligence. 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Premium multimedia w/ Dynamic Nav is only available on Adventure/Trail/TRD/XSE and standard on Limited.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I can't say that the "built-in" version in my Limited is any better. Once I was testing the navigation and I was at a tee intersection. To my right was my destination. I could see physically it but the navigation was telling me to turn left. I had some time so I turned left. Not more than a block or two later, it was telling me to make a legal u-turn. Now you might think that I was able to make a right turn and the navigation knew that. Well, if that was the case, then there was no need for the dedicated right-hand turn lane at the intersection :unsure:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yep, my phone, a Galaxy S7 and now an S10e, is the reason I have ZERO interest is buying any car with a Navi. Virtually up to the minute maps and with the Waze option. And GasBuddy. Can't beat it! I don't even use my Garmin anymore.
+1 for the Waze option but this does not work well for me when I get up in the mountains where there are no cell phone towers. Then I use the onboard GPS nav.

·
Super Moderator
9,525 Posts
One thing's for sure, whatever mapping device you're using it's a mistake to follow it with your brain in neutral. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
659 Posts
One thing's for sure, whatever mapping device you're using it's a mistake to follow it with your brain in neutral. :rolleyes:
Yeah, my elderly in-laws got lost in FL on some soft-sand farm roads that the GPS told them to follow. But that's a story for another day. And I've learned through tens of thousands of motorcycle touring miles that sometimes there's no substitute for a good old fashioned printed map.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly I don’t know why manufactures continue to install navigation. Google Maps, Waze, Apple Maps..... all are better than pretty much any car manufacturer systems. All our vehicles have factory navigation but we haven’t used anything other than our cell phone GPS programs for many years (Except for that one time I was traveling thru the mountains of eastern KY and had ZERO cell service)
For me, Car Play using Waze works great

2020 RAV4 Limited Hybrid
2013 Prius 4 with Solar Pkg
2012 Prius 4
2012 Prius v 5 with Panorama and ATP
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, my elderly in-laws got lost in FL on some soft-sand farm roads that the GPS told them to follow. But that's a story for another day. And I've learned through tens of thousands of motorcycle touring miles that sometimes there's no substitute for a good old fashioned printed map.
We had an out-fo-state family die here in Oregon couple of years ago. They were following their car's GPS trying to find a shortcut to the coast through the mountains. They ended up stuck and stranded in deep snow on a forest service road without cell service. They all eventually died of exposure, even the father who tried to walk out and was found miles from the car. Why they didn't think to just turn around before they got stuck in deep snow is a mystery. Technology is great, but no one should fully trust it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last month while on a trip to/from Colorado (from Washington State), I was running both my Garmin, and Scout GPS on the multimedia display. Several times during the trip, the Scout GPS application wanted me to get off the main highway and take a dirt back road. I've used a Garmin GPS for over 10 years, and trust it more than other GPS's that I've used (Including the Toyota Navigation GPS in my wife's Venza).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wife’s Honda Accord Hybrid did the same thing in Dallas one day she was going in circles around where she needed to be. Finally used her iPhone to get her where she needed to be. We just traded in her 2018 Accord for a blue XSE. So we have two in the family.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts