Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be installing some material to quiet down my new Rav in the near future. I've got a few questions for you all that have done this:

1) I'm assuming you lay this stuff directly on the metal, which means any existing insulation/sound barrier laid down gets removed. Is this a correct assumption?

2) How much do you think I'll need to do a single layer over the entire car? I'd probably do it in stages (Door panels, then floor, then roof) as time permits. And I'm probably going to lay down two layers around the wheel wells. Lots of noise coming through when it was raining.

3) What is the stuff you'd recommend? B-quiet Ultimate is what I'm leaning towards.

Did I miss anything?!? Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
986 Posts
B-Quiet and Dynamat work by dampening the vibration of metal panels, which in turn cuts down on the transmittance of sound waves through the metal panels. In order for the material to dampen the metal properly, it must be attached directly to the metal using the adhesive backing.

So to answer your question, it should be attached directly to the panels in order to work properly. Now, if some of the panels already have some sort of rubberized dampener glued to them, you can layer the Dynamat on top. But when you run into the stuff that looks like carpet padding, you should pull it up, attach the Dynamat to the panel, and then put the padding back over it. From what I have seen with the Rav, most all of the padding/insulation inside the vehicle is removeable so you can get down to the metal.

As for the other questions, there are a number of other member who can add their input.

T

·
0 Posts
it's really painful to do it part by part.. if I have time... i'd strip the whole interior and do it at once and put everything back in...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B-Quiet

I hear you on doing it all at once. No way I can take the month it would take me. Hahaha. I was more thinking of doing the 5 doors at one time (or at least two at a time), then the floor/cargo area another. Then the headliner.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Based on my research you'll need at least 100 sq ft to do the job, and probably 150 would give you enough to do the headliner too as well as double up in a few places.

I just bought 100 sq ft of B-Quiet. I chose them for several reasons:

1) they're Canadian
2) they're far cheaper than the competition
3) you'll have it in about 2 days after you pay
4) they're very helpful with questions
5) many say they're better than the competition

I have yet to install it yet. I'm just waiting for it to warm up. I guess your vehicle needs to be at least at room temp for any of these products to adhere properly. Since my garage isn't heated, I need to wait.

With the 100 sq ft I've got, I'm told I'll be able to do all 5 doors, the floor, and double up in some places.

A

·
0 Posts
Only recently joined here having a RAV4 5dr Granite - just completed my door internals (all 5) using Dynmat Extreme - only added patches to the larger panel areas as oppossed to a full ICE grade lining job - has really mad a difference (I had a Lexus IS200 before so the RAV was quite a lot noisier).
Reading the comments about wheel arches that is my next project - will wait for summer though as I used a hair-drier for the doors !
Anyone know how to remove the rear plastic panels to access the area ?

A

·
0 Posts
Finished the rear quarters and arches now - really has made a big difference :D

C

·
0 Posts
I'll be using 'QuietCoat' which is a liquid product to coat the interior. It takes multiple coats but is supposedly a better dampening and barrier material than Dynamat..... we shall see... it'll be in by the end of the week. :)

A

·
0 Posts
I used a liquid / brush on one years ago - just remember to keep it clear of any lower edge drainage holes or they will get blocked and possibly hold damp in leading to rusting ...

C

·
0 Posts
Well, I used the Quiet Coat... I did one regular coat and a thick second coat, letting the first dry for 4 hours as recommended.

This task takes forever. Their site talks about it taking less time, costing less... etc.. than Dynamat and whatnot... But the actual brushing on time is the same as applying Dynamat... and the drying and cleanup time take exponentially longer than Dynamat.

The result so far is barely noticeable. I would say it's similar to Dynamat in that it's tough to hear much difference. I only applied the product to the rear of the vehicle... from the backseats to the rear door. I covered every piece of metal in those areas to reduce road noise on the highway.

It's supposedly going to get better after 7 days but we'll see. So far, I'd say go with B-quiet or Dynamat which are nearly identical in composition and application. Don't waste your time with the Quiet Coat... it's not much (if any) cheaper and took 30-45 minutes for each coat and 8 hours overall to dry... If I had waited another 4 hours and did a 3rd coat as recommended, it'd have been a 12-hour process. Just ridiculous to me. If it were a 1-coat solution, I might recommend it. And if it magically starts making the interior super-quiet after 7 days, I'd say it's worth it also... but so far I'd say it's a 5% improvement.

-C

A

·
0 Posts
Well I have now almost finished mine - used Dynamat Extreme - the ali backed one - must say it has made a huge difference in my ( ... no doubt biased ... :D ) opinion.

Did all the door skins, rear arches and quarter panels, rear cargo floor and front foot wells - just the rear foot wells, front arches and transmission tunnel sides to go (not intending to do the roof as I don't really want to mess with the lining but I may do later.

Doors all close with a real thunk now and road noise very much quieter.

P

·
0 Posts
how am i going to remove the door cover in the inside? got stucked at the door-opener handle part!

A

·
0 Posts
Paolo - just flip out the little square cover in the handle recess and remove the little screw seen within - the long door handles need the coloured trim off to remove the 2 screws hidden underneath - just prise it off from the bottom edge upwards.
Good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
Reducing road noise?

I've just lined 4 doors with Dynamat Xtreme, and now have four sheets left, of size 18"x 32" / 457mm x 812mm. Where should I put these to minimise road noise? It's not cheap where I am, so am reluctant to buy more if I can avoid it!

- Back door?
- Floor? (which parts- front footwells, back footwells, cargo floor?)
- Rear wheel arches? (Means taking the plastic trim off, bit scary but I guess it's simple)

I was first expecting to put it on the floor, from behind the front seats to the rear door, but I notice there is already some soundproofing carpet there so it seems a bit duplicated. I totally forgot about the back door, would it be so much better? Finally, would it be so much better than the wheel arches?

Thanks!

D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts