Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering about this Dynamat product. I get a lot of rattling in my trunk (inside the door) from my subwoofer and I'd like that to be gone for good.

1) Is it really worth it / will it make a difference?
2) How much would this cost me approximatley?
3) Should I do the whole car at once, or is just the trunk enough?
4) Where could I possibly get this done?

Thanks for all your help! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry I can't answer all your questions, but I can offer some more info for you. Dynamat is a big ripoff for the most part. It does work great, but it's just such a huge markup for what it is. It's essentially the same product used for home wrap or underneath shingles on your house. You can buy that same stuff from a home center like Menards or Home Depot or Lowes for a fraction of the cost of Dynamat. You may want to try the install yourself. Probably very few tools would be required, and it gives you a chance to get into the doors and panels and see what else might be rattling. You can then do just what needs to be done and pay for only what you use. If and when I do any audio upgrades in my new RAV I will be adding some sound insulation at the same time. Search some forums and the internet for more info, you might be surprised at what you find. Maybe you can also find some recommended local shops to do installation for you if you don't want to try it yourself.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BlackFlagMN said:
It's essentially the same product used for home wrap or underneath shingles on your house. You can buy that same stuff from a home center like Menards or Home Depot or Lowes for a fraction of the cost of Dynamat. .
I would disagree with that statement. I think the stuff you'd put on your house would potentiallycause out gassing. Not what I'd want inside my car.
We have Dynamat and Acumat type stuff all over all three of our cars and love it. (Rav 4, Grand Am, Miata)
And it isn't THAT hard to install - leave it out in the sun for awhile to soften it up... measure, cut and throw a heat gun on it - you're good to go.
In fact for YEARS during my husbands build of an IASCA show car all that was on the doors was Dynamat - the door panels were in the garage... :roll:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
From my understanding of this product - all it does is add weight to what ever you are sticking it too - therefore it makes the panel more difficult to vibrate due to the extra weight.... It shouldnt be too hard to install as the ppl above have stated....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts