Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question about the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. On highways with a speed limit of 40-55 MPH and traffic lights, if I'm in cruise mode with no car ahead of me for many car lengths (no car shown in the display), the car won't slow as I begin to catch up to cars stopped at a red light.

Now I see in the manual that warnings might not occur "when the preceding vehicle is traveling at an extremely slow speed".

So is it expected that this dynamic cruise control won't know to stop in these situations?

·
Registered
163 Posts
You're confusing the speed control with a pre-collision system. So no, its not intended to prevent accidents, the driver is expected to do that.
Uhhhg. So if your following a car, radar cruise will follow up to your set speed or a complete stop of car ahead. And you are saying if you are not behind anything and come upon a stop car, its up to the driver to stop / if u dont a test of pre collision in theory should work .. im kinda bummed on that. 😖

·
Registered
18 Posts
Uhhhg. So if your following a car, radar cruise will follow up to your set speed or a complete stop of car ahead. And you are saying if you are not behind anything and come upon a stop car, its up to the driver to stop / if u dont a test of pre collision in theory should work .. im kinda bummed on that. 😖
Rdgrimes is correct- two different situations and systems and I don’t care to test the pre collision system. So I’m braking For that level of autonomy I’d have to let my wife drive, but then she gets control of the radio and I have a different problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's there to assist you not to take over your eyes, hands and feet. It's a nice safety feature to have and most likely Toyota will implement it but people will take advantage of it as they do now with the current safety features and you'll start seeing more people not paying attention to the road.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed when the car at the light was still moving forward at 1-2 mph, it registered the car was there and behaved accordingly. When the car ahead was already completely stopped, it just didn't "see" it. In the former, the car icon appeared between the road lines on the display. In the latter, no car icon appeared.

And to be clear, I'd never trust just letting the car continue apace to "test" the safety systems.

I'm just learning how the various features are supposed to work.

We're obviously a long way from autonomous driving even if Elon Musk promises that within a year (for Teslas anyway).

·
Registered
54 Posts
DRCC is not designed for city driving, street lights, etc. It's designed to be used on the highway to prevent fatigue on long drives.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use DCC in the city and it works well except lane assist. Of course have to press brakes any time the car in front is completely stopped. On my recent 800 mile freeway trip i used both things probably 99% of the time and it's such a pleasure especially awesome when stop and go occurred on the way

·
Registered
122 Posts
maybe im confused, but I drive on a country highway all the time (dreaded 380 in text) which is 60mph with stop lights. I use the radar cruise controll all the time and it will follow the car in front of me all the way down to a 100% stop. The only thing it wont do is start driving again after the stop unless i manually put my food on the gas.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes you are confused, the car probably won't stop and/or activate emergency brake if you are going 60 mph and approaching a car already at full stop. Basically you are asking for big trouble if you don't use brake in this condition. Following a car which comes to a complete stop works well though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes you are confused, the car probably won't stop and/or activate emergency brake if you are going 60 mph and approaching a car already at full stop. Basically you are asking for big trouble if you don't use brake in this condition. Following a car which comes to a complete stop works well though.
You are incorrect. If the radar system is active, and i am driving with open road in front of me and eventually approach a car at full stop at a red light, the car begins braking the moment the stopped car comes in range, and its a pretty quick brake at that (though still steady in its curve and not overly jolting) and the car will come to a full stop just as it would during normal radar opperation in stop and go traffic. The only thing it wont do is start up from a dead stop, you'll get a message on the screen telling you to press the gas pedal. This happens a ton on 380 when its not rush hour and both my wife and I have test it (with our foot hovering over the break to be sure). it never brings up emergency breaking lights or that ding it makes when the system is active

Still, I agree its bad practice to be overly reliant on the system. We use it as expect for driving on 380 between stop lights as its another form of protection, if a spider jumps on my wife while shes driving and she freaks out, the radar system will keep the car steady, the lane assist hopefully will keep her in her lane, and the anti-collision system will be the final safety net. Obviously we all hope nothing like that ever happens.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are incorrect. If the radar system is active, and i am driving with open road in front of me and eventually approach a car at full stop at a red light, the car begins braking the moment the stopped car comes in range, and its a pretty quick brake at that (though still steady in its curve and not overly jolting) and the car will come to a full stop just as it would during normal radar opperation in stop and go traffic. The only thing it wont do is start up from a dead stop, you'll get a message on the screen telling you to press the gas pedal. This happens a ton on 380 when its not rush hour and both my wife and I have test it (with our foot hovering over the break to be sure). it never brings up emergency breaking lights or that ding it makes when the system is active
I'm sure mine fails to register a stopped vehicle as it comes into range. On the display, the car icon never appears. On the other hand, if the other car is creeping forward, it usually registers.

The manual says slow-moving vehicles may not be detected, but for me it's the stopped ones.

·
Registered
360 Posts

Still, I agree its bad practice to be overly reliant on the system. We use it as expect for driving on 380 between stop lights as its another form of protection, if a spider jumps on my wife while shes driving and she freaks out, the radar system will keep the car steady, the lane assist hopefully will keep her in her lane, and the anti-collision system will be the final safety net. Obviously we all hope nothing like that ever happens.
You didn't mention the speed you were going, but try that (at your own risk) at 60 mph with active system... the car in front has to be in full stop (not moving). The system does not see the car and your first reaction is to push brakes hard because it's already uncomfortably close

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most of my experience has been on roads at 40-45 MPH. I don't think it has ever detected the stopped vehicle ahead. I can't imagine it will work better at higher speeds.

Over time, I'll get a better feel for it. But I do question whether it would work in an emergency.

(I'll reiterate that I'm never going to test this! I just hope it would stop in the event it's ever needed.)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Most of my experience has been on roads at 40-45 MPH. I don't think it has ever detected the stopped vehicle ahead. I can't imagine it will work better at higher speeds.

Over time, I'll get a better feel for it. But I do question whether it would work in an emergency.

(I'll reiterate that I'm never going to test this! I just hope it would stop in the event it's ever needed.)
Yeah, I think above 40 is when I usually encountered, but according Grey Raven it works for him on any speed, I hope we would still see him responding after this...

·
Registered
122 Posts
You didn't mention the speed you were going, but try that (at your own risk) at 60 mph with active system... the car in front has to be in full stop (not moving). The system does not see the car and your first reaction is to push brakes hard because it's already uncomfortably close
380 is 60mph, we have tried it at 60mph, i thought I was clear about that? I'll make a video of it next time i'm commuting in so long as the conditions are safe.

And I want to make it clear I'm not advocating people drive with absolute trust in the system, I'm just pointing out that I think there is a miss understanding on its usability and what it does. The system will completely stop the car in its own software, not utilizing the pre-collision system (meaning the car length distance you set the active cruise control too will stop the car at that distance) and it works when it detects a stopped car at a red light and you are approaching at 60mph, the car starts slowing down the moment the car icon appears in the radar sensor. More importantly it does great when a car turns into an intersection you are approaching at 60mph, As in the car is taking a right on red but gave way too little distance, my car instantly kicked in and started applying heavy pressure to the breaks way far ahead of any danger zone or collision system activation, slowing down to a crawl and keeping the establish sensor distance.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Interesting to see video of that unless we are talking about different conditions I don't understand why would that be any different for you. OP also has same experience as me. I have tried to trust it as well to brake on several occasions but it simply does not see the car in front stopped in acceptable time and I have to apply brakes. If the car is even barely moving then it works.

Anyone else has different experience?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
14 Participants
Numbers
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing