Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The "drive-by media" is getting to me and I'm now curious. Can I run e-85 fuel in my RAV4? What do I have to do, and does it void my warranty?

Wayne

·
Registered
986 Posts
Flex-fuel cars, just like electric and hydrogen cars, require special filling stations that are not yet widespread except for parts of Europe, Brazil, and the midwestern United States. I'm sure Toyota has something in the works for ethanol, but right now ethanol-powered cars are in their infancy and are of limited usefulness compared to traditional and hybrid vehicles.

EDIT:
I found this article - http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/19/toyota-gets-on-the-e85-bandwagon/

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff said:
Flex-fuel cars, just like electric and hydrogen cars, require special filling stations that are not yet widespread except for parts of Europe, Brazil, and the midwestern United States. I'm sure Toyota has something in the works for ethanol, but right now ethanol-powered cars are in their infancy and are of limited usefulness compared to traditional and hybrid vehicles.
It just turns out that we have an e-85 station or two in town, so I was curious about trying it. With a couple of friends owning VW diesels and ragging me about their 45mpg, I'm having a great deal of trouble trying to resist trading in the 4.2 and buying a used 2005 Passat diesel.

Wayne

D

·
0 Posts
we have e85 all over around here.
Here's the problem. Yes it is cheaper, but......your mpg is cut drastically. So in the end you actually end up paying MORE. I guess we need to start somewhere though. :?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm a little confused about the whole e85 thing anyway, I mean as far as how it would be beneficial on a nationwide scale.

One thing is that I heard on the news the other day that there's currently an ethanol shortage (hence the problems in the eastern US where they were switching from MTBE to ethanol as a gas additive). So...there's already a shortage even though in most places in the US it only makes up about 10% of what you put in your gas tank...what happens when everyone is using 85% ethanol?

Another thing is where in the world do we get all this corn to allow most of the planet (or even just the US) to switch to e85 fuel? We already use absolutely unfathomable amounts of corn to produce corn syrup to put in everything from spaghetti sauce to soda. Seriously, take a look in your cupboards, there is corn syrup in almost everything unless you specifically avoid it like I do. The volume of soda consumed by the world is staggering. Can we really grow enough corn to support both our sweet tooth (teeth? :lol: ) AND our cars? (Please note: I'm not a chemist...maybe I'm wrong, maybe the same corn can be used to produce both things, but still, that's a LOT of corn!)

Becky

·
Registered
986 Posts
The problem with ethanol is not that there is a shortage of supply, but the switch from MTBE to ethanol requires a great amount of modification to our distribution infrastructure. Gasoline and ethanol cannot be mixed until the last possible step in the distribution process, which usually occurs at the distribution centers where all of the tanker trucks fill up. Therefore, gas and ethanol need to be transported separately, which requires existing storage tanks and trucks to be converted from carrying gas to carrying ethanol. This takes time and results in a supposed shortage.

Even though this information comes from reputable news sources, I'm sure the oil companies are up to no good in one way or another.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I wonder if things will be the same as other industries.

The farmer will be shafted on the price of corn.

The government will have to subsidize (our money) to help them.

and,

The oil companies will make the profit. :wink:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Wayne said:
Hi guys,

The "drive-by media" is getting to me and I'm now curious. Can I run e-85 fuel in my RAV4? What do I have to do, and does it void my warranty?

Wayne
I realize this thread is a bit old, but yes you can run E85 in the 4.2. I've been running E60 for 2 months, without any problems and probably could go higher. I get about 2 mpg less than with E10 (10% ethanol).

Several companies make E85 conversion kits that turn your vehicle into a FFV, capable of running straight unleaded or any percentage of ethanol. In my opinion, the AutoFFV has the best features: (http://www.abcesso.com)

Here's a pretty good site for more info on E85: http://e85vehicles.com

... and no, I'm not on Abcesso's payroll. :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts