Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm about to order the header in a couple minutes. My parents are paying for me to get the exhaust done (250 with borla double tipped muffler, pipes, and installation), and I'm paying for the header and installation. :D :D

Hopefully my parents will let me do the intake soon. I'm surprised they're letting me do this :roll:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks :D I'm not installing anything myself though, my parents would probalby never let me and I'm afraid I'd mess it up too. It is going to be like 100 bucks to install it though, which seems a little much. The muffler for the exhaust is 180, then pipes and labor comes out to 70, and if all of it comes out to around 250 labor must not be very much for doing all that work. Putting the headers seems a little easier though (bolt off, bolt on?)

Also, should I wrap it in that insulation stuff? How long of a piece did you use mensa?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
If your referring to the DEI insulation kit. With one kit, you will do the header and the exhaust pipe. Remember the DEI roll comes for two V8 headers. You will have more then enough to wrap the header with. You might need more metal clamps. But they are sold in any auto parts for a dollar or so. Man, that will help a ton. It will keep your engine bay a lot more cooler. Extending the life of all the rubber and plastic parts under the hood. also, extend the life of the engine since it runs cooler. And it will give it more power. Heat is the enemy. When you are wrapping the header. Overlap it just a quarter of an inch. Don't cut a piece of Insulator to more or less. the size you need. I did that and messed up a lot. Take the roll and cover the header pipe, and cut. It will be a little more teaduse. But the work will be done neatly and you won't waste material. Oh, stretch the material. You will have more then enough. But you want a tight fit.

http://www.designengineering.com/

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
You should do the wrapping before you install it. I did that same error. I thought I could install the wrap when it was installed. The DEI from Summit didn't arrive on time.

I took a day at my friends muffler shop. He even rented me the hydraulic jack lift that day. [price, a six pack].

Do the wrapping before you install it. BTW, keep it tight when wrapping. You won't regret it.

PS
The only good thing about installing the header and a couple of days later uninstall it in order to wrap it. You will notice a big difference in performance and sound. That is why I always recommend it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts