Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if modifications can be made to the 1998 Toyota RAV4 to allow it to run on E85?

·
Registered
779 Posts
No, but I would be interested on hearing from others what might happen if you just chucked it in anyway?

Remembering the handbook, Ravs can run on fuels with ethanol in but the percentage is low (nothing like 85% for sure, probably closer to 15%).

Actually it appears that most engine can run on a 24% ethanol blend without any mods at all. Above this you may need to consider issues like:

1) Valves and valve seats made of specially hardened material
2) Engine-control software to sense the ratio of gas and ethanol in the fuel tank and adjust the injection and ignition accordingly.
3) Because bio-ethanol fuel has less positive cold starting characteristics than gas, the cylinder block may need pre-heating when the temperature dips below 5 degrees Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It would ruin all the seals.

I think it would run a few times, but then it would start causing problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rav4 1997

I tried to run on different mixes of Natural95 and Ethanol85 and even pure e85 with my Rav4 automat for about four months about 7 full tanks.
No problems so far. Winter cold starts works for second try.
It can run on e85 only, but engine plucks a lot in lower revs (under 3000). Now I use 2:1 to 1:1 of n95:e85. Mix of 3:1 is almost same as n95 only. Consuptions goes higher proportionaly to mix ratio. On e85 is about 10-15% worse.
I like to hear your experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts