Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow,
The RAV now has 107k on the clock and the braking performance was never great. So, when the brakes started squeaking I decided it was time to swap them out. Since the rotors were original, I changed them out too...

I ordered the parts from the Tire Rack as they were cheaper than any local place could sell them to me for...I went with the brembo rotors (only option) and the Akebono ceramic pads.

I soaked everything in PBBlaster a few days prior to swapping out the parts and everything came out easily on Saturday morning...sweet...this was one of the easier brake jobs I've done. I didn't notice a great increase in braking power, but it's my wife who mostly drives this car. When she got in it, she was impressed by how much tighter the brakes felt...so that's good.

So in summation, if you're on the post about swapping out your brakes yourself...do it...the RAV is pretty easy to work on...

Bogatyr

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I agree, very easy to do on our Ravs. :wink: Also, you got to keep in mind that ceramic brakes need a break/burn in period to work at 100%, especialy on on new rotors. I got the same package you did from Tire Rack, and they will get better over time, once they get worked in a bit. After about 100-150 miles, you'll notice better proformance out of them. 8)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I too replaced my the front brakes late last year with Brembo (OE style) rotors and Axxis/Metalmaster performance brake pads on my 1998 RAV4.

They work great! You're right JayV, it takes a few hundred miles for the break-in period before you really notice the difference in performance!

I wish Brembo sold rotors for 4.1 RAV4's with cross drilling and/or slotted. I've noticed that if you find Brembo rotors for 4.1 RAV4's out there, they're cross drilled and/or slotted aftermarket by a performance brake shop...

Nonetheless, I've been happy with my brakes so far!!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
phantomdg said:
I too replaced my the front brakes late last year with Brembo (OE style) rotors and Axxis/Metalmaster performance brake pads on my 1998 RAV4.

They work great! You're right JayV, it takes a few hundred miles for the break-in period before you really notice the difference in performance!

I wish Brembo sold rotors for 4.1 RAV4's with cross drilling and/or slotted. I've noticed that if you find Brembo rotors for 4.1 RAV4's out there, they're cross drilled and/or slotted aftermarket by a performance brake shop...

Nonetheless, I've been happy with my brakes so far!!!
Like these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7978099218&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

·
Registered
392 Posts
I saw that on Ebay a few times. I contacted Brembo direclty and they said that for the 4.1 RAV4's, any crossdrilled or slotted Brembo rotors are done by someone else. Meaning, Brembo does not sell crossdrilled or slotted rotors for 4.1 RAV4's.

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you flush and bleed the brake fluid you will notice even better braking, especially on an older Rav.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest I think properly maintained original brakes on the RAV are pretty good anyway

·
Registered
106 Posts
Jeff said:
If you flush and bleed the brake fluid you will notice even better braking, especially on an older RAV.
Here, Here. Same here. @ 156K I decided it was time. Definetly made a difference.

·
Registered
57 Posts
phantomdg said:
Is that a bad thing? I just purchase cross-drilled brembo for the RAV4. Is it more likely to be faulty because of it?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nl4jy, the kind of break you want to get is rather dependent on your plans for the vehicle. OEM style is just fine if you do normal driving and breaking. It is what your vehicle was designed to do. Now than, the cross-drilled you have are "performance" brakes. The idea is that the cross-drilling allows better ventilation, and therefore does not have the heat buildup of a normal OEM style rotor. This allows much more aggressive braking. However, by adding all those holes on the brake you have sacrificed certain structural integrity, and therefore they have to be replaced more often. There is another type of rotor, and that is slotted, which is a bunch of grooves cut down the surface. Once again, this allows for less heat build-up, but doesn't sacrifice as much of the duribality that a cross-drilled does. Than, for those who have waaayyyy overpowered engines, or just drive like they are on a track, there are cross-drilled and slotted rotors. More heat dissapation, but even less strength then the above two. Really only found on race cars or anthing demanding brakes like that. Hope that helps ya.

Oh yeah, anyone know a good pair of slotted rotors for the Rav? How about pads? I need to change mine (OEM are loud as H***, drives me nuts).

·
Registered
106 Posts
nl4jy said:
would installing metal brake lines make a difference too?
It did for 2 vehicles that I swapped them into. You should get a firmer pedal as the rubber hoses expand as the pressure builds in your lines from depressing the brake pedal. More so on older cars/brake hoses.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chucks97 said:
nl4jy said:
would installing metal brake lines make a difference too?
It did for 2 vehicles that I swapped them into. You should get a firmer pedal as the rubber hoses expand as the pressure builds in your lines from depressing the brake pedal. More so on older cars/brake hoses.
Do you know a website that sells it for our rav? Seems like an good investment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This drilled/slotted thing is a very hot topic. There is a lot of research/testing that says the holes/slots don't help. Even Corvettes did not have drilled/slotted discs from the factory until this year and the engineers have been quoted as saying the only reason they went to a drilled rotor this year is because people wanted it. It wasn't for any performance advantage. The wonder of the internet is that you will be able to find as many people on here that think holes/slots are better as you will be able to find people that say they aren't any better. I have a very heavily modified 450 h/p '86 Vette that I do a fair amount of high speed track events and low speed autocrossing and don't have slots/holes and have never warped a rotor. I couldn't imagine ever warping a stock rotor on my Rav4. The stock brakes/rotors are very substantial compared to most other brake systems on similar vehicles.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just as an update, it's been a few weeks on the new pads and rotors and now I can really tell the difference...much improved braking now.

As far as the stainless lines, I've always felt that the rubber lines were enough. Perhaps if you're racing or offroading enough then you should consider stainless brake lines. However, every time you're under the car changing the oil, you should check the condition of the brake lines. Any abrasion or cracking should be dealt with immediately.

If you notice a dramatic improvement with the stainless lines, it's prolly because the rubber lines were in a sorry state.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
106 Posts
I picked up a set of SS brake lines for my 2500Ram @ tirerack.com

so I would start there. The usually run about $100 +/- for the complete set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts